Question Repaste my 4070?

Fastfishy2

Reputable
Apr 20, 2020
My Asus dual RTX 4070 generally has very good thermals - in a warm room it won't exceed 70-72c on superposition or 3dmark port royal. However, the hotspot can be anywhere from 16-20c higher than the main temp sensor. Vram is fine for temps. Is this cause for concern? Max hotspot I've seen in benches is about 92-93c.

I have experience repasting gaming laptops and a couple of graphics cards so I know a bit about bare die repastes, and I have arctic silver ceramic 2 thermal paste on hand. The card is still under warranty but knowing my local retailer they are a pain to get RMAs for this kind of thing because they'll just send it to Asus for a couple weeks anyway. I'd rather do it myself IF it needs doing.

Those temperatures seem to be on the high side for that model of card period. I know all of the 40 series cards seem to have similar behavior as the temp goes up the delta between core and hotspot seems to increase. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with what you're seeing, but it seems like it'd be worth investigating airflow unless your room is hot.

I completely agree about not messing with a card under warranty unless you know for sure it won't be voided by taking it apart.

Fastfishy2

Reputable
Apr 20, 2020
Those temperatures seem to be on the high side for that model of card period. I know all of the 40 series cards seem to have similar behavior as the temp goes up the delta between core and hotspot seems to increase. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with what you're seeing, but it seems like it'd be worth investigating airflow unless your room is hot.

I completely agree about not messing with a card under warranty unless you know for sure it won't be voided by taking it apart.
That kind of temp only really happens when the room is warm.