[SOLVED] Repasting 5 year old gpu

Stacey s

Honorable
Apr 14, 2017
Hi I have a gtx 1080 in my old alienware aurora r6. When I originally got it, I had a 60hz 4k monitor and would hit 82 degrees Celsius always. It's now 6 years later and it still hits 82 but if I up the temp and power limit, it will climb higher to 88 or 89c. If I repaste it could my temps possibly decrease, how much do you think?

Side question: would undervolting and overclocking get me higher clocks at 82,83 degree temp limit

Side,Side question: what's the hottest you want the card to run

Solution
1)It is impossible for anyone to give you a concrete answer on how much - if it even changes anything.
The paste is just a bridge: If the bridge is broken, a new bridge does a lot. If it ain't broken, a new bridge does next to nothing.
More power = more heat, more heat = stronger cooler, stronger cooler = faster air movement(in and out), faster air movement = more open entrances and exits
Paste does a lot and yet very little at the same time. The bulk of cooling is on the gpu cooler and the airflow.

2)Yes and no - application specific, unfortunately.
More productive to UV at the highest boost clock the gpu already gets, than trying to do both; the Gpu Boost 3.0 algorithm doesn't just monitor how high core thermals get, but how...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)It is impossible for anyone to give you a concrete answer on how much - if it even changes anything.
The paste is just a bridge: If the bridge is broken, a new bridge does a lot. If it ain't broken, a new bridge does next to nothing.
More power = more heat, more heat = stronger cooler, stronger cooler = faster air movement(in and out), faster air movement = more open entrances and exits
Paste does a lot and yet very little at the same time. The bulk of cooling is on the gpu cooler and the airflow.

2)Yes and no - application specific, unfortunately.
More productive to UV at the highest boost clock the gpu already gets, than trying to do both; the Gpu Boost 3.0 algorithm doesn't just monitor how high core thermals get, but how frequently the power limit is hit too.
Ex: My 1080Ti Gaming OC does 1949mhz at 1.043v max, but it doesn't sustain that very well, often dropping down to 1936 at 1.031v, or bouncing constantly from 1800s-1900s due to the 300w power limit.
Used Afterburner Curve Editor, settled on a 0.05v UV for the 1949mhz clock, and called it a day. Holds 1949mhz much more easily.

3)Short instances, matters very little... but if I have to give a number: 90C.
Extended instances, I suppose the Target Rating of 83C and above.

Solution