[SOLVED] Repasting a gaming laptop

Jan 15, 2021
Hi guys, i have a omen dc1041nl, and even with undervolting and underclocking (-140mV, locked to 3.5 or 3.7 ghz), it does run around 80° - 85° celsius. I know it's kind of normal, but since i plan to keep it as long as i can, i'd like to repaste it and try to make it cooler. The problem is, i don't know what paste to use. Kryonaut would be the best choice, but apparently it dries out at 80°; some say IC diamond is a good option but also it's apparently non existent in italy.
Would using hydronaut be a good idea? Also, how much do i need to do it?
Thanks in advance

Solution
Hey there,

I've a similar HP Omen (dc1024na). It is tricky to do the repasting. Once you get the back off, you then need to remove a number of screws to dismount the cooling pipes/system. Make sure if you are going to do it, that you keep all screws in a safe and organised space. Once off, you can paste both CPU/GPU. Ideally you need a pea sized blob in centre of chip. When you place the cooling heatsink/cooling pipes, the pressure will spread the paste over the surface area. It will take a few on/off cycles for the paste to finish spreading and set.

In terms of paste, here's a list of suitable ones: 12 Best Thermal Pastes For CPU You Can Buy (2020) | Beebom

I didn't find massive changes in temps after repasting. I'm not sure...
Hey there,

I've a similar HP Omen (dc1024na). It is tricky to do the repasting. Once you get the back off, you then need to remove a number of screws to dismount the cooling pipes/system. Make sure if you are going to do it, that you keep all screws in a safe and organised space. Once off, you can paste both CPU/GPU. Ideally you need a pea sized blob in centre of chip. When you place the cooling heatsink/cooling pipes, the pressure will spread the paste over the surface area. It will take a few on/off cycles for the paste to finish spreading and set.

In terms of paste, here's a list of suitable ones: 12 Best Thermal Pastes For CPU You Can Buy (2020) | Beebom

I didn't find massive changes in temps after repasting. I'm not sure if that's because the thermal paste already used is of similar quality or that regardless of paste, the cooling system i simply inadequate. In fact, asides from undervolting (mine is -180mv) the best results I've had were with a laptop cooling pad. Which brings temps down a few degrees, but also seems to keep temps at a steady level, rather than fluctuating like crazy. This specially applies to the GPU, which never goes above 69c.

CPU wise, similarly I lock my clock speed so I know what heat (and therefore fan speed) will be like. I have 3 profiles, 3.2ghz, 3.7, and 4.0ghz all core. So I choose what level I need for whatever application I'm using.

If you don't feel comfortable pasting, you could always bring to a local repair store. They might only charge $£€20 or so to do it for you, if you supply the paste you prefer.

Reactions: peterthedoor
Solution