Question Repasting and placing the thermal pads on a Aorus RX 5700 XT.

Jun 20, 2023
Any tips and not-to-do's when repasting and replacing thermal pads of a card? It's my first time replacing these on a GPU and quite scared I might screw things up. Also does anyone know what the sizes of the thermal pads in a Aorus RX 5700 XT?

Reactions: th3reaperskullpt

th3reaperskullpt

Prominent
Dec 27, 2022
Any tips and not-to-do's when repasting and replacing thermal pads of a card? It's my first time replacing these on a GPU and quite scared I might screw things up. Also does anyone know what the sizes of the thermal pads in a Aorus RX 5700 XT?
Be careful when disassembling the graphics card.
Do not pull the heatsink if it has gripped the chip due to the thermal paste.
Use isopropyl alcohol to clean old thermal paste.
Thermal pads are only replaced if necessary, if they are deformed, damaged and dirty

Regarding the size of the thermal pads, this is something that you have to test yourself, you don't have that information, only if someone gives you that information. But you can always start with 1mm thermal pads.

Jun 20, 2023
Why, specifically, are you looking to do this?
I want to do this myself if possible, though I am considering just dropping it off at a shop to save the hassle. Plus I assembled my computer myself so I thought might as well try?

Edit:
The reason why I want to do this is because the card is a used one and I'm hitting 85~90°c gpu temp while 110~115°c junction temps on stock fan speeds while gaming, also vram is running quite hot as opposed to other temps I am seeing online. The room it's in has ac so it's should be running cooler if anything else.

Last edited:
Reactions: th3reaperskullpt

th3reaperskullpt

Prominent
Dec 27, 2022
I want to do this myself if possible, though I am considering just dropping it off at a shop to save the hassle. Plus I assembled my computer myself so I thought might as well try?

Edit:
The reason why I want to do this is because the card is a used one and I'm hitting 85~90°c gpu temp while 110~115°c junction temps on stock fan speeds while gaming, also vram is running quite hot as opposed to other temps I am seeing online. The room it's in has ac so it's should be running cooler if anything else.
How old is the graphic?

- There is one thing that can greatly influence these temperatures, which is the air circulation you have in your case, how have you been placing your fans, which computer case do you have?