Repeated BSOD's on boot after adding new ram

Romezilla

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015
Hey all,

Just installed two additional 8GB DDR4 2400 ballistix sticks on top of the two I've already had Installed (same exact sticks). After Installation, I would begin to experience BSOD's every 10-15 minutes or so. After attempting to reseat and shift the modules around, I am now having consistent BSOD's on reboot and cannot even get to my login screen. I have already attempted to log into my machine via safe mode to no avail as I continue to BSOD. Any Ideas?

Specs are as follows -

MSI Z170A Gaming M7
Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake @ 4.0GHz
Ballistix 32 GB (4x8) DDR4 @ 2400 MHz
EVGA 980Ti 6GB GDDR5 SC + Gaming ACX 2.0+
Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB
OCZ Vertex 4 256 GB
Sound Blaster Z
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Dual fan push/pull setup
Corsair CS850M PSU
Corsair 760T Graphite Series case

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Image of the BSOD in question
IMG_5060.jpg

Romezilla

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015

Does it matter which DIMM slot I use to test each one Individually? As per the Mobo manual, 1x stick should always be in DIMM2

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
This is very common whan mixing packages of DRAM, they often simply don't want to play nice (also why 4 stick packs cost more, it's harder to find 4 sticks that will all play nice), make sure you have the latest BIOS (MSI isn't real good at getting updates out) , try raising the DRAM voltage + 0.075 and see if that helps, may want to try a small increase in the MC (memory controller) voltage also maybe + 0.05

Romezilla

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015

The sticks are exactly the same. Only thing is that I purchased them at two different dates, in packages of 2. I have now tested both pairs in DIMM's 2 and 4 and everything looks like it's up and running without any Issues but for some reason, they don't want to play nice together.

As for the DRAM voltage, it looks like I might be able to do so from an app that came with the Mobo (control center). Should I take this approach or do I raise the DRAM via BioS and if so, what am I looking for?

Thanks!

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
That's what I said, no guarantees when mixing - they test sticks before they get packaged and bigger sets cost more as it takes more testing to find 4-6or 8 sticks that will all play nice - you can pull sticks right off the assembly line and them not play (at all .... or maybe with voltage timing adjustments) I cover this more in my FAQs and Fiction article on DDR3, Fiction, Items 6 and 2)

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2741495/ddr3-faqs-fiction.html

Romezilla

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015

Thanks. Also, the sticks in question are DDR4. Does this article still apply to my Issue?

Thanks again.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
DDR4 and DDR2 (though not so much with 2) yes. DRAM is an electronic device and many things affect it, in a way similar to CPUs - you can take 5 CPUs right from the assembly line and OC all to say 4.6 and it quite prob take a different vCore on each to be stable when set up on the same rig

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Putting this out there, in case it helps someone with Fx-8350 or other users with 4 sticks.
I got 2 sticks of 4 Gb each today, in addition to the 2 I had so a total of 16 gigs.
Computer would not boot no matter what with all 4 in, no signal on monitor. Not even at stock settings. I overclock of course. I had problems even with 3 sticks, BIOS reported only 4 gigs (so 1 stick was recognised). The timings were all wrong though. All 4 sticks are Crucial Ballistix, 9-9-9-24 @ 1600 Mhz and 1.5 volts. I even tried 1033 Mhz, would not work. Tried undervolting to 1.45, no luck.

Then I loaded an old overclocking profile I had, Ram OCed to 1866 Mhz, manual timings (11-11-11-30, known good timings on my system). 3 sticks worked. yay!
Slapped in the 4th too, booted and I have been running games all day, including 6 EQ2-clients which use around 10-12 gigs of RAM in total. No problems so far.

I find it very strange that the system worked suddenly.
I'm running at 4.6 Ghz, 1.50 volts on CPU, every other voltage at auto except RAM at 1.55v.
Other settigns are the normal ones for overclocking, no spread spectrum, high or extreme LLC, 130% current capability for CPU and NB, 120% for RAM etc. Others have played with Northbridge voltage too but I didn't have to.

Tags: AMD fx-8350, 4 memory sticks, will not work, fixed.

TRENDING THREADS