Repeating pattern of lines - what causes this?

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

Well, no sooner do I get one problem resolved than another raises it's head.
Here's a link to the results of a printer issue I've just developed. Epson
Stylus CX-5200. This is a blow up of a 2inch x 2inch printout.

http://home.mpinet.net/~docsavage20/printer_problem_001.htm

It's not random, see how the pattern repeats itself? It does this on
successive printouts. But it only does this on the black ink. (??) When I
tried to go through the head alignment process, when it got to alignment
test #2, where it asks you to see which of several sets of gray blocks
overlaps the least without leaving space in between, the top of each set of
blocks was fine, but the bottom one has streaks in it.

Any ideas what causes this?

Thanks for all input.

Si

"Doc" <docsavage20@_remove_this_to_reply_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Well, no sooner do I get one problem resolved than another raises it's
head.
> Here's a link to the results of a printer issue I've just developed. Epson
> Stylus CX-5200. This is a blow up of a 2inch x 2inch printout.
>
> http://home.mpinet.net/~docsavage20/printer_problem_001.htm
>
> It's not random, see how the pattern repeats itself? It does this on
> successive printouts. But it only does this on the black ink. (??) When I
> tried to go through the head alignment process, when it got to alignment
> test #2, where it asks you to see which of several sets of gray blocks
> overlaps the least without leaving space in between, the top of each set
of
> blocks was fine, but the bottom one has streaks in it.
>
> Any ideas what causes this?

You've simply got blocked jets.

Si.

Doc

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

"Si" <simon@nospamforme.co.uk> wrote in message

> > Any ideas what causes this?
>

> You've simply got blocked jets.

Man, I hate when that happens. ;-)

How does one un-block them if head cleaning isn't doing it?

Doc wrote:
> "Si" <simon@nospamforme.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Any ideas what causes this?
>>

>> You've simply got blocked jets.
>
> Man, I hate when that happens. ;-)
>
> How does one un-block them if head cleaning isn't doing it?

Head cleaning will only exacerbate the issue as it does nothing more than
squirt ink through the nozzles.

If they're already clogged, then it's just laying more ink down on top.
Follow the instructions below

By 'cleaning' the printheads you are merely exacerbating the problem. You
see, by not using the printer for a couple of months, you have allowed the
ink to dry in the printheads. This has partially clogged them. All the
'cleaning' cycle does is lay down more ink, on top of what's already there,
and makes the issue worse. You now have two choices: -

1) Take an empty cartridge, one of each colour, and fill with Windex.
Replace the carts you have in there with the Windex carts and alternate
running cleaning cycles/nozzle checks until the paper comes out clean. When
the paper is clean, remove the Windex carts and replace with BRAND NEW
ones - do NOT, under any circumstances, replace the ones you removed.
Print a nozzle check. If you don't see anything on the paper, run one
cleaning cycle, to get the ink flowing, and try a nozzle test again. That
should be all that's needed. You shouldn't need to run any more than two
cleaning cycles to get things going again.

2) If you don't wish to fill your own carts, there are a number of
outlets that offer cleaning carts. Just Google for 'inkjet cleaning
cartridges' - you're bound to find a myriad of companies selling them.
Simply replace your existing carts with the cleaning ones and proceed as
above.

Running a cleaning cycle can use as much as a quarter of a cartridge. It
should be used very sparingly - after all, ink is, obviously, money!

NOTE: This message was sent thru a mail2news gateway.
No effort was made to verify the identity of the sender.

Cerridwen typed:
> "Head cleaning will only exacerbate the issue as it does nothing more
> than
> squirt ink through the nozzles...If they're already clogged, then it's
> just laying more ink down on top...."

Scientifically speaking, this is false. Any substance will eventually
dislove back into itself. Of course, the method you use below to
recommend for cleaning I'm sure is much quicker and more cost effective.