Question Repetitive Freezing and Blue Screens.

jesse13williamson

Honorable
May 20, 2018
Hello! So this problem began yesterday and I haven't been able to recitfy it yet, so I'll go into as much detail as I can.
Yesterday, I turned on my PC and left it idling for around 30-45 minutes, but when I returned, everything was frozen and completely unresponsive. My only option was to force shut down, which I did. Power was still being supplied to peripheral and and has been every time my PC has been on prior to and during this problem. When I attempted to turn my PC back on, it would post before getting stuck on the 'windows loading screen'. I then force shut it down again.

Following this, I turned on my PC again and was met by the bios 'safe mode' screen. I entered set up and continued without changing any BIOS settings, followed by my monitor losing signal. This happened several times until I tried to empty the CMOS battery by unplugging the power cable from the PSU and holding the power button down for 30 seconds.
When restarting my PC after this, which I tried several times, I'd either have the same experience as before, or boot into windows safe mode. When I first entered windows safe mode, I selected the restart option which didn't yield any positive results. The next time I managed to boot into windows safe mode I reset my PC.
After resetting my PC, I was able to get onto my desktop, however, after a maximum of a couple of minutes I'd get a blue screen with the usual "Your PC ran into a problem', but no error code would be shown. My PC would then restart after gathering crash info, but the same thing would happen again given that my monitor doesn't lose signal after booting. Occasionally my PC would start 'auto repair', which would either freeze while loading or finish loading and offer a black screen again. That's as far as I've gotten. Any help is greatly appreciated, and I'll do my best to answer any further questions!

Specs:
Mobo: Asus Z370-F
CPU: Intel i7-7700k
GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3
Boot drive: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB.
PSU: Corsair CX500.

Last edited by a moderator:

Colif

Win 11 Master
i added some spacing to make it easier to digest

Do you have any other hdd in PC? reason I ask is we could do a fresh install and see if that helps
but if you have a 2nd hdd, we can use the next bit to copy anything off the ssd you want to save

Do you have an installer? On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

change boot order so USB is 1st
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

once you have everything off SSD you want to keep, try doing a clean install and see if it fixes the problem
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

jesse13williamson

Honorable
May 20, 2018
i added some spacing to make it easier to digest

Do you have any other hdd in PC? reason I ask is we could do a fresh install and see if that helps
but if you have a 2nd hdd, we can use the next bit to copy anything off the ssd you want to save

Do you have an installer? On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

change boot order so USB is 1st
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or hdd

once you have everything off SSD you want to keep, try doing a clean install and see if it fixes the problem
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Thank you! I'll try everything out as soon as I can. Thanks for the added pacing too btw.