[SOLVED] Replace a bad Asus ROG XG27WQ... which one, TN or AHVA IPS?

OzN3

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
Hi guys,

I've received the Asus XG27WQ, and it is...... really bad!
Everything looks blurry, even on the Windows 10 desktop!
I come from an LG W2363D, very old monitor, and in comparison, especially with moving objects, it's 100x better, the image is always clear!
I will definitely return the monitor, and seeing reviews and threads on the various forums etc.., it seems that all Asus ROG monitors are suffering from some kind of problem, is that possible/true?
Could it also be the kind of technology (VA), which is not suitable for the games I usually play (csgo, warzone, pes 2021)?
Can you recommend some TN/AHVA IPS monitors with at least 165hz, 2k resolution and 27 inches?
If possible, i would like to have an asus rog monitor, because all my rig is Asus rog, and it seems asus rog monitors no longer exist on the market ?!
TN or AHVA IPS? Which one is better?
Is the Asus TUF VG27AQ good?
I play csgo basically, and i want the moving objects to be as sharp as possible!
Thanks in advance!

Solution
So a good AHVA IPS monitor can perform like a TN in terms of response time?
Yes.

With the ridiculous number of models out there, looking up reviews for a particular model is just about the only way to get any kind of closure on a decision.
VG27AQ review:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b2cwbWbDmo

VG27BQ review:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUNouF9a2eQ

The comments made by FPS Exorcist below(should be #13) are also worth a read.

I would like my new monitor to be better in color, image sharpness and response time.
Color reproduction is pretty much an auto-loss with TN... IPS is king here, and VA not far behind with its...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
TN or AHVA IPS? Which one is better?
Depends on you, and how much you want to spend, actually: https://www.pcgamer.com/tn-vs-ips-panel-gaming-monitor/
StrengthsWeaknesses
TNrefresh rates, response times, cheapviewing angles, colour
IPSvivid colour, accuracyexpensive, response times
VArefresh rates, viewing angles, contrastresponse times
That's the gist of it - both IPS and VA have come a long way on response times; some models can match TN now, though they tend to cost a premium.

OzN3

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
Depends on you, and how much you want to spend, actually: https://www.pcgamer.com/tn-vs-ips-panel-gaming-monitor/
StrengthsWeaknesses
TNrefresh rates, response times, cheapviewing angles, colour
IPSvivid colour, accuracyexpensive, response times
VArefresh rates, viewing angles, contrastresponse times
That's the gist of it - both IPS and VA have come a long way on response times; some models can match TN now, though they tend to cost a premium.
My budget is around 600/650€

I'm looking for ASUS TUF series, the VG27BQ (TN) and VG27AQ (AHVA IPS). They're not expensive, but i think the VG27BQ is the fastest. I have no idea which one to choose, of course I’ll see some movies or I’ll play some games that don’t need a quick response time ( vivid colour needed maybe ). Is the difference in response times very noticeable? Compared to my current LG W2363D, would the response times of an AHVA IPS panel (VG27AQ) be better or not? Help :D
I would like my new monitor to be better in color, image sharpness and response time.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yes.

With the ridiculous number of models out there, looking up reviews for a particular model is just about the only way to get any kind of closure on a decision.
VG27AQ review:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b2cwbWbDmo

VG27BQ review:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUNouF9a2eQ

The comments made by FPS Exorcist below(should be #13) are also worth a read.

Color reproduction is pretty much an auto-loss with TN... IPS is king here, and VA not far behind with its deeper blacks and whites.

Solution

OzN3

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
Thank you!
What about a good VA curved display? Are them comparable in terms of response time with TN and AHVA IPS?
I think that i've got a defective unit...
It's impossible that a TN and 5ms monitor of 12 years old ( LG W2363D ) is a lot better then a new VA display.
On pes 2021, for example, its like the players are splitting up, I see three in one...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What about a good VA curved display? Are them comparable in terms of response time with TN and AHVA IPS?
1)Have you any experience with watching curved screens? That's a love/hate relationship right there.
If you haven't, I suggest going to an electronics store - if possible - and watching the screens on display to get a feel for them. If you blindly order one and end up not liking the curve...

2)Yes, but again, the good screens tend to cost more.

On pes 2021, for example, its like the players are splitting up, I see three in one...
Sounds like ghosting/inverse ghosting?
Manufacturers will make certain claims, but not say what they did to get there...

OzN3

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
1)Have you any experience with watching curved screens? That's a love/hate relationship right there.
If you haven't, I suggest going to an electronics store - if possible - and watching the screens on display to get a feel for them. If you blindly order one and end up not liking the curve...

2)Yes, but again, the good screens tend to cost more.

Sounds like ghosting/inverse ghosting?
Manufacturers will make certain claims, but not say what they did to get there...
I've found an Asus Rog Swift PG279QE for 465€. Is it a good deal? Is a fast monitor for fps gaming? Will I have any advantages over my current LG W2363D?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Probably not. If you're looking for a 'deal', why are you looking towards the premium brand(ROG)?
2)Yes.
3)It's a monitor made in 2010, Vs one made in 2019... it better be. At the very least, the latter doesn't have any adaptive refresh technology.

OzN3

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
You’re right, It can't be called a deal, but I would like to have Rog monitor, in order to have the whole rig of Asus Rog...
I’ll probably go with this one, and I hope I’ll not have any ghosting or similar issues ( I’ve heard about IPS glow, what is that? ). About the adaptive refresh technology, I don't think it's that important ( What would be the benefit? ). If I’ll have problems, I’ll definitely go for a TN panel, IPS and VA panels it’s just a lottery..

OzN3

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
On the subject of IPS glow: https://www.limscave.com/reduce-ips-glow

Adaptive refresh aids in reducing screen tearing in situations where in-game fps exceeds or is a fair bit below the monitor's native refresh.
I'll definitely go for a TN panel, i mainly play fps games and i think is the better choice for me ( i already have a samsung curved VA for working ).
I will also stay on full HD 1080p, I see that there is marketing on 2k, the prices are inflated, and it looks like all new monitors are IPS. I think it’s not worth it.
The Asus Rog Swift PG279QE for 465€ is a refurbished monitor, and i'll not buy it ( i’m sure it’s the return of someone who noticed something wrong ).
So, my choice, is between the asus rog XG248Q and the XG258Q.
The first one is 380€ and the second one is 390€. Which one should i buy and why?
Thanks in advance mate.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

OzN3

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
I just noticed, that the XG248Q has the ELMB function up to 240hz, while the XG258Q, up to 144Hz.
Is it an important function or just marketing? Does it affect input lag?
In any case, it can only be activated when freesync is deactivated. Which of the two is better to keep active?
How beautiful the Monitors of 10 years ago were ... no headaches, i don't understand anything, too many new technologies! :unsure:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
ELMB is Asus' proprietary motion blur tech.
It is not compatible with either Freesync nor G-sync, and no telling if it ever will be. So you can't run ELMB together with them.

I've no idea which is better, as I've never used ELMB.

i don't understand anything, too many new technologies!
Companies are banking on the confusion knowing some people are going to spend on features they don't really need nor will use; some are just suckers for the 'shiny' stuff... like that PCIE gen 4 stuff.
Totally useless for gaming systems in its current state, but some folks spent the extra cash towards those devices anyway, and the companies are pleased.

OzN3

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
ELMB is Asus' proprietary motion blur tech.
It is not compatible with either Freesync nor G-sync, and no telling if it ever will be. So you can't run ELMB together with them.

I've no idea which is better, as I've never used ELMB.

Companies are banking on the confusion knowing some people are going to spend on features they don't really need nor will use; some are just suckers for the 'shiny' stuff... like that PCIE gen 4 stuff.
Totally useless for gaming systems in its current state, but some folks spent the extra cash towards those devices anyway, and the companies are pleased.
So, it’s just marketing i guess... thanks again!

TRENDING THREADS