[SOLVED] Replace a case for a prebuild

Apr 18, 2021
Hi
I’m looking to buy a gaming computer for my daughter. She really wants the pink or white cases with lights. I really don’t want to build the computer from scratch. How complicate would it be to buy a prebuilt and then replace just the case? Most gaming desktops are black and looking for it by color seriously limits the selection and I can’t find the spec I want

Solution
I see several issues.
First, what is your budget, and where might you shop?
What are the specs you want?
Using google "pink computer cases"
and looking at images, you will get a number of cases.
Here is a pink one:
https://www.amazon.com/Apevia-PRODI...ocphy=9011560&hvtargid=pla-969172449744&psc=1
Gaming, particularly fast action gaming requires a good graphics card.
Unfortunately, today such cards are in short supply and hard to buy.
Then, the prices have been jacked up to past twice MSRP because of cryptominers.

Buying...

DSzymborski

Titan
It's quite a mess because prebuilts tend to use rather proprietary parts, depending on what you choose. Sometimes they don't use standardized power cables, sometimes different front panel layouts, etc.

If you don't want to build from scratch, then the best option would be to go to one of the builders that builds custom PCs (not HP, Dell, etc) and configure one with a case you think your daughter will like. Otherwise, since you're moving parts from a prebuilt to a new case anyway, you're getting all the disadvantages of a prebuilt and the disadvantages of building one, combined.

You'll also get better results from an upscale builder like Falcon NW rather than a cutrate one like Ibuypower or Cyberpower. In the latter, you'll frequently have to check their work.

I see several issues.
Here is a pink one:
https://www.amazon.com/Apevia-PRODI...ocphy=9011560&hvtargid=pla-969172449744&psc=1
Then, the prices have been jacked up to past twice MSRP because of cryptominers.

Buying a pre built is one way that you can buy a gaming pc that includes a decent graphics card
Changing out the case may not be a big problem if the pre built uses standard parts.
Unfortunately, many such vendors skimp on quality of parts, particularly the power supply.

Moving parts is essentially the same as building a pc from scratch.
Perhaps even more difficult since you need to both remove and then reinstall.

How old is Daughter?
I might suggest that you have a nice opportunity for a bonding experience by undertaking such a project together.
Give Daughter the task of finding a case she loves. Most will work just fine.

Last edited:
Solution
Apr 18, 2021
I see several issues.
Here is a pink one:

Buying a pre built is one way that you can buy a gaming pc that includes a decent graphics card
Changing out the case may not be a big problem if the pre built uses standard parts.
Unfortunately, many such vendors skimp on quality of parts, particularly the power supply.

Moving parts is essentially the same as building a pc from scratch.
Perhaps even more difficult since you need to both remove and then reinstall.

How old is Daughter?
I might suggest that you have a nice opportunity for a bonding experience by undertaking such a project together.
Give Daughter the task of finding a case she loves. Most will work just fine.
I tried suggestion that she will build it with my help but she is afraid to burn stuff out and I dont have time to learn it

I still have no idea of what specs you have in mind.
Nor the technical competence of either of you.
Assembling a pc is not difficult if you can read instructions and do not force anything.
Parts fit only one way.
Still, experience makes things go easier.
One option might be to buy the parts and find a local shop that will assemble the parts for you and install windows.

DSzymborski

Titan
I tried suggestion that she will build it with my help but she is afraid to burn stuff out and I dont have time to learn it

Here's the basic problem: buying a PC and then replacing the case basically involves you building a PC. That's how it gets into the case!

That's why I described this as getting the worst of both worlds in your situation: you have to make the effort of building the PC without the benefit of getting to choose quality parts.

"burning up " parts is really not possible.
Nothing happens until you switch on the power supply.
Then, nothing happens if parts are not installed correctly.
There are some youtube tutorials about how to build a pc.
Look at some and see if you are still uncomfortable.
The key to a build is selection of parts for your purpose.
A top quality power supply is key.
Installing windows might be the most obscure part of the process.

What kinds of games are we talking about, and what is your budget?

Last edited:
buying a PC and then replacing the case basically involves you building a PC. That's how it gets into the case!
Actually - moving system from one pc case to another is way simpler than building from scratch.
You don't have to buy all the parts.
You don't have to worry about compatibility.

Just disconnect all the cables,
remove all pcie cards,
move motherboard to new case,
move PSU and hdds/ssds from old case to new (if any) and
reinstall cards and reconnect cables and
done.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
Actually - moving system from one pc case to another is way simpler than building from scratch.
You don't have to buy all the parts.
You don't have to worry about compatibility.

Just disconnect all the cables,
remove all pcie cards,
move motherboard to new case,
reinstall cards and reconnect cables and
done.

True, but the original poster seemed most concerned with the physical process of building a PC.

TRENDING THREADS