Question Replace Activated Windows 11 Home with unactivated Windows 11 pro.

Aug 21, 2023
I got a new laptop and swapped the only SSD with a different completely wiped SSD from my old laptop (used shred on linux from USB). This meant that when I turned it on again, I needed to reinstall Windows, which I did. I intended to not use a key to activate right away and install the Windows 11 Pro version and activate it later. However, I didn't get the option to input a key or select the version of Windows 11, because the OEM key pre-loaded on the laptop immediately applied and it just started installing Home. Can I override this or install Windows 11 unactivated on the laptop. All the files I was going to put on the laptop are in an external drive, so there's absolutely nothing on the laptop now if I need to wipe it. I found this video on removing a windows key from the BIOS, but I was wondering if there was a method that didn't involve changing BIOS files, or if what is shown in the video would even work for my purposes. Thanks!

Colif

Win 11 Master
I wouldn't think the installer would choose which install to use on the disk. If you pick Pro, it shouldn't try to use the win 10 Home key. I guess laptops are different.

He isn't asking to buy it, you shouldn't have to.

I wonder if it uses that key if you aren't attached to internet when installing.

USAFRet

Titan
I got a new laptop and swapped the only SSD with a different completely wiped SSD from my old laptop (used shred on linux from USB). This meant that when I turned it on again, I needed to reinstall Windows, which I did. I intended to not use a key to activate right away and install the Windows 11 Pro version and activate it later. However, I didn't get the option to input a key or select the version of Windows 11, because the OEM key pre-loaded on the laptop immediately applied and it just started installing Home. Can I override this or install Windows 11 unactivated on the laptop. All the files I was going to put on the laptop are in an external drive, so there's absolutely nothing on the laptop now if I need to wipe it. I found this video on removing a windows key from the BIOS, but I was wondering if there was a method that didn't involve changing BIOS files, or if what is shown in the video would even work for my purposes. Thanks!
How did you invoke the install process?

Aug 21, 2023
How did you invoke the install process?
I used a USB with Windows 11 installation media installed on it, as the only drive in the system was completely wiped and departitioned.
If you pick Pro, it shouldn't try to use the win 10 Home key. I guess laptops are different.
It completely skipped the page where you get to pick the version. It went from agreeing to the TOS to picking custom install or upgrade.

Aug 21, 2023
hmm....this is strange.

But....how about just installing Win 11 Home, and then, when you get a valid Win 11 Pro license, just apply the Pro license and let it do its own upgrade.
That is of course my fallback if I need to, but I would like to find a way to install it now. I'm going to try with a Windows 10 or 8 install and then upgrade to 11 from there if I can later today.

Colif

Win 11 Master
not so much dangerous but you may have hardware in laptop that doesn't have win 10 or 8 drivers, making it difficult. Its also more unnecessary work.

What make/model laptop is it? MIght be able to find something about it. Its likely that if the installer is getting a key from the bios, you would need to go into it to stop. But I would prefer to know for sure first, as most laptop bios are limited.

Aug 21, 2023
not so much dangerous but you may have hardware in laptop that doesn't have win 10 or 8 drivers, making it difficult. Its also more unnecessary work.

What make/model laptop is it? MIght be able to find something about it. Its likely that if the installer is getting a key from the bios, you would need to go into it to stop. But I would prefer to know for sure first, as most laptop bios are limited.
It’s the 2023 Asus Zephyrus G14. From the few times I’ve messed around in the bios during setup it doesn’t seem to be more limited than a custom desktop bios. Should I try the method shown in the video on my original post?

Colif

Win 11 Master
it has win 10 drivers but no win 8 drivers, so you could go back to it if you chose

Google is no help looking for that model and deactivating a licence in the bios. I don't know if I would trust that video.

Did you try installing windows without internet connection? I can't find any proof its entering the key at the install stage, but activation generally happens after windows is installed, so I am wondering if its coming from the internet and not bios.