Question Replace Chipset Fan?

mickrc3

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2016
The chipset fan on my Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming Pro X has started to grind very loudly. Looks like to replace it I have to scrap the fan cover/M2 heatsink plate. It covers the entire lower part of the motherboard and I won't be sorry to see it go. My main concern with replacing the fan is that my MSI RTX 3070 Ti extends over the chipset with little clearance so I can't just stick a fat fan in there and hope it fits. I will do a dive into the belly of the beast, measure sizes and clearances to see what I have to do. Anybody with experience with X570 chipset fan replacement, I will gladly accept your advice.

mickrc3

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2016
Thanks - since I've had the motherboard 3 years and didn't keep the outer box I can't locate my serial number. I know that AsRock says it could be on the motherboard on the back of the IO shield but I didn't see one on the exposed areas and I'm not going to remove anything I don't have to. Luckily since the video was released the exact model chipset fan can be purchased for less than $15 shipped from China so I ordered one and will get it in about 2 weeks. Shouldn't be a problem to replace it especially after watching the video. Course that means I'll be keeping the motherboard fan shroud/M2 heatsink monster. Oh well.

EDIT - argh - I replied to the thread you provided, not this one. Thanks, just what I needed to know. And like so many of the others including the author of the video, I made the mistake of buying a new AIO thinking it was the fan. Lucky for me I didn't replace the existing unit yet. I can't return the new equipment but I can put it in one of the computers I'm building.