[SOLVED] Replace cooling or New case?

geoliogas

Reputable
Oct 18, 2017
So I have a quite old case, the Coolermaster HAF X, for about 8-9 years now and the cooling that came with it was perfectly fine for me all this years and never considered to change or add anything even though it has the space for it. It has 2 x 230 mm fans, one front and one on the side panel, one 200mm up top and one 140mm fan on the rear. Recently though i have seen quite high values on the temperatures(like near 80-90s) and the side fan seems to be getting louder. Now i don't think that's a problem of the side one alone. I was considering maybe to replace the side with 4x 120mm fans as stated on their website and maybe add on top but I'm wondering if it's worth it or maybe i should go for a new case all together.

The system I have, yeah a bit of both from 2 family pcs that went for laptops due to their jobs, is an x570 aorus pro ,ryzen 5 3600(stock cooler), rx 480 nitro,1 ssd and 3 hdd, and a Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 750w.

Last edited:
Solution
Check front fan, if it is spinning properly. It may need to get replaced.
Also you may want to get a better cpu cooler. Stock cooler for ryzen 5 3600 is not very good.

HAF X actually is a very good case. Has excellent cooling performance.
Doesn't have all the latest RGB bling though. If you're into that kind of stuff, then get a new case, I guess.
Check front fan, if it is spinning properly. It may need to get replaced.
Also you may want to get a better cpu cooler. Stock cooler for ryzen 5 3600 is not very good.

HAF X actually is a very good case. Has excellent cooling performance.
Doesn't have all the latest RGB bling though. If you're into that kind of stuff, then get a new case, I guess.

Last edited:
Solution

geoliogas

Reputable
Oct 18, 2017
After seeing some tests online it has better cooling than alot of 100€ cases that I'm willing to spend on so probably will go for that cooler and an addition or two fans and see from there.

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
After seeing some tests online it has better cooling than alot of 100€ cases that I'm willing to spend on so probably will go for that cooler and an addition or two fans and see from there.

Def. +$100 for cases with glass is crazy. Get a new air cooler for your CPU, if the side fan is acting up some WD40/oil on its bearings will definitely help.

geoliogas

Reputable
Oct 18, 2017
Well I took a long while but finally got to it(covid couriers are so slow atm). Replaced the stock cooler with an Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duο and added one 140 at the front at the front drive bays(There was so much space unused there) and replaced the side one with another 140 as everything i tried it to maybe fix it didn't do anything. Now after benchmarking it and monitoring it with HWMonitor during a lengthy gaming session the max temp went down by 23oC 🤯. Didnt expect such a massive drop.
Thanks for the advice everyone.