Question replace cpu stock fan turn on than it shut off

Jun 27, 2021
I replace a CPU cooler fan for a better one I did everything g I should do to replace it when I plug it in, the power pc it turn on than off right after. There a post Similar I found try it it didn't work.
every thing power up light and fans and all only a half seconds off. I have a bios led never light up.

Parts
Motherboard: z97 extreme4
Intl i7 4 something
CPU cooling: stock to cooling master hyper 212

Edit: could I got the CPU cooler to tight?

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021
You did something wrong. Tell us the exact steps on how you did this.
All I did was replace the old stick cpu fan for a cooler master cpu fan. All I did is remove the old cpu socket paper towel the cpu to clean it apply the new Thermal paste, the attack the new cpu fan. I did it gently as possible.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021
take the cpu out and check for bend pin on the socket
Can you bend the pins without moving them out the socket? I left the cpu in the socket never touch them. All I did is remove the old cpu socket paper towel the cpu to clean it apply the new Thermal paste, the attack the new cpu fan. Did it as Gently as possible.

Can you bend the pins without moving them out the socket? I left the cpu in the socket never touch them. All I did is remove the old cpu socket paper towel the cpu to clean it apply the new Thermal paste, the attack the new cpu fan. Did it as Gently as possible.
It won't hurt to remove and reseat the cpu, especially if you had to change the backing plate. Also, check the corners of the cpu. I've actually had coolers bend the cpu and damage it so it would not work in the same way yours isn't. This happens even if you don't tighten the screws down tightly.

Jun 27, 2021
I have an 5-6 year old pc I was trying to upgrade it with a new PSU and GPU Keep running issue after issue. Replace my old hard drive because I kill it when replace my PSU. Replace my fan because they were going bad. Now I'm having issues with my CPU now I was replacing my cooler fan with my new fans now getting the same problem but different item. PSU turn on than half sec turn off. I follow every Recommend step to replace a cooler. I removed the stocker fan, wipe the CPU with a paper towel clean then, once over with a micro-cloth towel to get clean. Put a Recommended amount of past. Gently put it together.
After the issue I follow other Recommend to fix the issue. Reseat the rams 1-4. Reseat the CPU. Check for any damages. Tighten the CPU cooler, loosen the CPU cooler. The PC work before, I replace the CPU cooler. I'm at a lost.

Parts
Motherboard: z97 etreme4
CPU: i7 4790k I think
PSU: Thermaltake 750w g
To asus thor 1200w
CPU cooler: stock intel to cooler master 212 RBG black

Jun 27, 2021
Man this thing better have a 390x2 crossfire to justify that PSU, because otherwise? beyond overkill.

Uh... have you cleared CMOS already?

sounds like something's loose and the CPU or mobo isn't getting any power, or something's causing a short, AC or DC side
That what I have one of the 3090, working on the other at the moment, the CMOS I forgot about that will be doing that now, "update"" it didn't work"

Jun 27, 2021
If you're having this much trouble with components, you may just not be good at working with PCs and their components--I would just take it to a shop since if you damage things you'll be spending even more.
Sorry, no can do, they are bunch of rip off make it worst than it would. In the past I went over 10 different computer shop repair, all they did was " we ran Diagnostic check and found nothing wrong." Or " we fix it" the next day I found out they damage a part of a pc.
This why I'm trying to learn how to fix my own pc

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
That what I have one of the 3090, working on the other at the moment, the CMOS I forgot about that will be doing that now, "update"" it didn't work"

I said 390x2, AMD cards from the same gen as the CPU, notorious for using up to 500W each. A 3090 alone doesn't needs a 1200W power supply at all, not to mention the CPU running at stock clocks or close (doubt you can overclock it past 4.5 with an entry level cooler) will create a hard bottleneck.

Sorry, no can do, they are bunch of rip off make it worst than it would. In the past I went over 10 different computer shop repair, all they did was " we ran Diagnostic check and found nothing wrong." Or " we fix it" the next day I found out they damage a part of a pc.
This why I'm trying to learn how to fix my own pc
Gotcha. Yeah, it's the same around here with auto mechanics. :confused_old:

Just take your time and watch the details--that's what matters when working with computers. Go back and double-check all your work.

Jun 27, 2021
I said 390x2, AMD cards from the same gen as the CPU, notorious for using up to 500W each. A 3090 alone doesn't needs a 1200W power supply at all, not to mention the CPU running at stock clocks or close (doubt you can overclock it past 4.5 with an entry level cooler) will create a hard bottleneck.
I understand your Criticism, yes I getting what are trying to explain. But, how would I text the part I got to know if it still work or not, or what parts need to be replace or not, what are my goals to get there, what learning Curve to go through and how. What I did wrong what I did right. Ask 9mg help for guidance to point the right Direction. I have to learn this on my own because pc building, pc repair and pc Troubleshooting is almost Impossible to find without getting scam or Rip off.
There some trouble I have to learn the youtube and other sites than don't give the full details on.

Jun 27, 2021
It won't hurt to remove and reseat the cpu, especially if you had to change the backing plate. Also, check the corners of the cpu. I've actually had coolers bend the cpu and damage it so it would not work in the same way yours isn't. This happens even if you don't tighten the screws down tightly.
I reseat the cpu, reseat the CMOS to didn't work

I understand your Criticism, yes I getting what are trying to explain. But, how would I text the part I got to know if it still work or not, or what parts need to be replace or not, what are my goals to get there, what learning Curve to go through and how. What I did wrong what I did right. Ask 9mg help for guidance to point the right Direction. I have to learn this on my own because pc building, pc repair and pc Troubleshooting is almost Impossible to find without getting scam or Rip off.
There some trouble I have to learn the youtube and other sites than don't give the full details on.
Don't worry about any of that post--optimization is different than just getting something running and you have to learn to walk before you can run, so don't worry about stuff like this right now.

Youtube is pretty bad place to learn stuff as I cringe anytime I watch someone work on a system there--no grounding strap, monkey banging parts, etc. It's a miracle any of that stuff works.

Just read--start with the original owners manuals that are hopefully written in property grammatically correct english. And keep reading--that's how I learned what I know.

Jun 27, 2021
Don't worry about any of that post--optimization is different than just getting something running and you have to learn to walk before you can run, so don't worry about stuff like this right now.

Youtube is pretty bad place to learn stuff as I cringe anytime I watch someone work on a system there--no grounding strap, monkey banging parts, etc. It's a miracle any of that stuff works.

Just read--start with the original owners manuals that are hopefully written in property grammatically correct english. And keep reading--that's how I learned what I know.
This is my third pc I build so far. But yes I doing Exactly what you Recommend. I'm trying to learn to troubleshoot more hoping for Guidance on where to look.

Reactions: carocuore
Jun 27, 2021
If this is happening, it seems like there may be a short somewhere. Did you have to change the back plate for the new cooler?
Yes, it requires me to install a back plate. The old stock intel fan didn't have one.

Weird for sure. It's a slim chance, but put the old cooler back on and see what happens.
Yes, something must of happen when I was installing the cooler, took my time slowly install it. I did install the old fan on its still the same issue. I was thinking reinstall the old PSU to see if it work. Kinda worried that my old PSU don't have the the Emergency breaker, it might fry up my mother board and CPU, knowing I'm using a 1200 w to replace it.....

Last edited: