Replace Dell power supply. 20-pin into 6-pin.

Oct 14, 2018
I had to move my Dell 7050 motherboard to a new case as my need out grew the old case. I added a 1050 GPU and had to add a new power supply. But the mother board has a 6-pin ATX plug in and the new power supply doesn't match the plugin. The 6-pin connector has 2 white wires, 2 black wire, 1 thin green wire and 1 thin brown or gray wire. The power supply is a L240ES. I would like to wire the 6-pin into the 20-pin connector that came with the new power supply. I need a voltage pin out for the 6-pin any help would be awesome.

Oct 14, 2018
I got it to work. Just had to ground the green wire coming from 20 pin. But power comes on with the power switch on the new PS. Thanks for your help. Now I just have the one PS in the case.

Reactions: TinkerBell16
Jan 4, 2019
@pugrustler2
I have exactly the same problem with my Dell 3050. Can u elaborate more of ur solution? How do i do with other cable/pin?

Apr 29, 2019
Hi Pugrustler2

Can you please elaborate more how you achieved this. A picture would help greatly

I have the same issue with a dell 7050 and a Corsair psu

Regards

Karadjgne

Titan
Herald
Op re-pinned the old connector onto the new psu. It's not advised unless you are adept at such and know what you are doing. For most ppl the easiest solution is a 20pin to 6pin adapter, some need the p10, some don't.

May 2, 2019
Hi guys,

I need to switch the PSU of a Optiplex 5060MT Dell with a 6pin connector on the mother board. I followed the colouring scheme which Karadjgne suggested but nothing happend.
Then I connected the green wire from the PSU to a black GROUND wire and the PSU switched on (the green cable on the 6PIN connector is not connected). The Dell PC switches on for about 4-5 seconds, but then switches off again. No idea why... does anybody know what might be wrong and how to get the DELL to play nice with a bigger ATX PSU?

thanks in advance for your help.
cheers

Last edited:
May 2, 2019
sorry guys,
must have been to tired yesterday ... it helps to press the power button properly! (the front plate was not properly on and the button didn't get pressed, was irritated why it would power on and then off ... just had to press the power button again and it worked as a charm!)
cheers to everyone

A

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS