replace fan in dimension 8100

based on this post

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.sys.pc-
clone.dell/msg/d5e726fde52ddc18?dmode=source

it appears that i can go with any old fan, not just the dell kind. anyone
disagree?

if not, does anyone know where instructions for doing this are located? i
looked at it & didnt seem so apparent to me, but then again im a little
weak on the hardware stuff.

thx.

--
_______________________________________
e-mail: q u e n t i n c o m p s o n 1 9 1 0

Examine the connector at the end of the wire that supplies power to the fan. If
the connector is black with a retaining clip, you need a special Dell fan. If
the connector is white without anything special to hold it in place, a generic
fan will do. My bet is that a special Dell fan is what you need. Around $15
from Dell parts. Or troll on eBay... Ben Myers

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in

> Examine the connector at the end of the wire that supplies power to
> the fan. If the connector is black with a retaining clip, you need a
> special Dell fan. If the connector is white without anything special
> to hold it in place, a generic fan will do. My bet is that a special
> Dell fan is what you need. Around $15 from Dell parts. Or troll on
> eBay... Ben Myers

thx much. i must be dense but i dont see a way to easily get to the case
fan (note: its not the cpu fan) in my box. its all locked up in this
little metal box that rotates upward -- looks like the power supply. the
doc from dell doesnt explain how to open this up. any ideas?

--
_______________________________________
e-mail: q u e n t i n c o m p s o n 1 9 1 0

There will be no instructions on replacing the fan - you will need to
replace the power supply (at least according to Dell).

If you choose to open it up and replace just the fan, be careful - there
are high voltages present.

Unfortunately, the 8100 uses a proprietary power supply not shared with
the earlier Dell designs, and not the same as the later models (which
used standard ATX power supplies for most of the 4xxx and 82/3xx - until
the advent of the 4700 and 8400, which use BTX power supplies).

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in

> There will be no instructions on replacing the fan - you will need to
> replace the power supply (at least according to Dell).

geez, how did you find that tidbit of info? i cannot find a single thing
on that blasted dell site....

> If you choose to open it up and replace just the fan, be careful -
> there are high voltages present.

as i said, im dense when it comes to hardware. "high voltages present"
means even when its unplugged? or like if i hose something up with the PS
& then plugit back in ill fry myself?

i'm missing something.

thx much

--
e-mail: q u e n t i n c o m p s o n 1 9 1 0