Replace FX-55 w Dual core????

CARvett2004

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
Im not quite sure about what to do. I would like to get a dual core for my system, but id like to not spend a fortune. I do mostly games, rarely any DVDCD burning. Im just looking for a performance bost with the newest games that take advantage of multi threading. Should i get an 4800+ or possibly an opty?

sylvez

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
if u do mostly games just stick to ur 55 and try to OC it if possible

i would suggest just wait a wee bit more for opty x2 to drop in prices

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
If you did upgrade to an X2 4800+ you probably wouldn't notice any difference in gaming performance. Might I ask what games you currently have trouble playing? Even games that support multiple cores usually don't receive a huge performance increase from having one.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
If you're considering getting a new CPU I wouldn't bother making it a socket 939 model.

Your FX55 is still a great CPU, put the money in savings and do a big upgrade to AM2 or next-gen Intel.

xombie2000

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
Im not quite sure about what to do. I would like to get a dual core for my system, but id like to not spend a fortune. I do mostly games, rarely any DVDCD burning. Im just looking for a performance bost with the newest games that take advantage of multi threading. Should i get an 4800+ or possibly an opty?

I wouldnt do anything, based on what you said your needs are, you have a great system. Its definately not worth upgrading right now for a hand full of games that support multiple processors. Wait 4 - 6 months and then look at it again.

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
Never spend ridiculous amounts of money on FXs!!
Now that you have it my advise is to get good cooling and actually make use of the unlocked multiplier.
On good cooling solutions,FXs tend to beat the other AMD chips.

WhatUsername

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
What?????? Man are you crazy???? How much money did you throw down for that fx-55??? Now you just going to replace it? wtf??????? i don't see the sense in this.

He has no reason to overclock with an fx-55 the cpu shouldn't be a bottleneck anyhow, buy a better video card.......................

WHEN WILL YOU PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THE PREFORMANCE INCREASE YOU GET FROM A FASTER CPU IS MINIMAL, THE PREFORMANCE YOU GET FROM A FASTER GPU CAN MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN FPS!!!!

CARvett2004

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
Ok, before all have a hemorage, this is why i asked! I wasnt sure what advantage, if any, i would get. I have 2 very good 7900 gt's so video is not much of a problem. I was not so much looking for a huge leap in performace, as much as keeping up with the times. So sue me...
What games do i have problems with? None, with the slight exception of Oblivion, but i would guess im not the only one in that boat. And even then i think i could have used 512 mb memory, insted of 256 (but what do i know) on my video cards.
Cooling is a iffy situation. I have a Zalman 9500, but, during the summer, as we dont have certral air, and cant use a swamp cooler (we have a well) Temps in my room push 100, and i feel estatic to see my CPU running at 55c full load. So OCing is just not worth it to me.
As for money, its not your money quit freeking out.

Hmm. Your FX-55 is PLENTY speedy playing games and your 2 GeForce 7900's are also a ton of firepower for gaming. About the only thing that I can think of that will really help out your system for gaming would be to ensure that you have at least 2GB of 2-2-2 RAM of at least DDR 400 and it's set up in dual channel mode. You could have a hard drive array, but that is much more an improvement to moving around large files than for playing games. If the level load times are too long, you can put the game on a RAM disk like Gigabyte's (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815168001 sorry, the "URL" tag button does not seem to work today) and that will reduce load times by a large amount. The only other thing I can really think of is to OC your chip or your GPUs, which you don't seem so keen on doing, and I don't blame you.

Just keep playing and have fun!

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
That cpu is still capable of running games like BF2, FEAR and Oblivion. An X2 is better yes but not that much since multithreaded games are still not that demanding as to compare to the FX55. My older home pc is still able to play games decently and it's a P4 2.5Ghz. You just need a good card to pair up with your cpu, assuming you don't have one. Besides X2 are still expensive like the 4400 and 4800 but it's showing some price drops and maybe by the end of this year it would be a better buy if the price continues to go downhill. What I'm saying is your current cpu is still capable with today's demanding games and you should be looking to upgrade towards the end of this year. :wink:

edwuave

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
u wouldnt get any performance difference with games. FX-55 is a good processor, u should stay with it untill u really get unsatisfy, then u switch over to AM2 and K8L.

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
If the FX is not enough for his needs,OCing it will make it faster. FX are meant for OCing and hold the record for OCing for AMD chips. FX-55 will get beat at some apps pretty badly by a budget dual core.
If gaming is his only concern, no need to upgrade,but if he gets into more serious stuff...

CARvett2004

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
Well i guess it seems that i have maxed out what i can do for now i guess. :D I have 2 120 gig SATA2 hdds in RAID0, 2 sets of matched 1gig (2x512) DDR-400. I have an X-Fi sound card, and an SLI 16x mb.

I was really only asking about the dual core so that i could squeeze ever FPS out of my games, with out OCing.

Thanks for the info and advice all.

And since you all made me feel extreamly good about my computer....
Specs:
Asus A8N32-SLI
AMD FX-55 @ 2.6 ghz
2 GeForce 7900 GT's in SLi
2 gig DDR-400 @ 2,2,3 (i think...)
SB X-Fi Platinum w/ Front panel
Logitech 5500: 5.1 W/ 520 watt of house shaking power!
3 HDD, 223 gig (120x2 SATA2 in RAID0) 80 gig SATA2.
PC Power and Cooling 510 watt PS

So at this point my only quarrles are my Alienware case, which i plan to replace with a Sliverstone TJ-07, and the power supply (to noisy) which i plan to replace with a Silverstone Zeus 650 watt ps, with 120mm fan.