[SOLVED] Replace GPU regularly or wait until it no longer can sustain decent fps?

CaueV

Honorable
Jul 12, 2014
Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to the pc master race and I was wondering:

Should I replace my GPU every 2-3 years or use it until it can't handle new games?
This would depend on how much a GPU loses its value over time, which I don't have enough experience yet to know.

If I sell my GPU 2-3 years after its release, I would do so for a lot more money compared to 6-7 years down the road (maybe no one will buy it then).

Consider these 2 scenarios:
1.I buy a $700 today. 3 years later I sell it for 500 and buy a new, better card for $700 and use it for another 3 years. Then, sell it again for $500 and buy another one for the same $700. I end up spending $1100 worth of GPUs in a 6 year window, and manage to always have "the best" hardware.

2. I buy the same $700 card, use it for 6 years, not sell it, or sell it for like $100, and buy a new $700 card. I end up spending $1300- $1400 worth of GPU in the same 6 year window.

Are these scenarios realistic? How much do GPUs sell for years after its release? do things change too much if we consider inflation?

What are you guy's thoughts on this?

Solution
I have 1080 Ti, which I bought one six months after release. I have had it two years and two months. (Total two years and eight months since release.)

The state of play is that it won't max Red Dead Redemption 2 and Metro Exodus (at 1440p) when I get them. However it will still max almost all other games.

Why am I blathering on about this, you may wonder. The point is, that if I had bought the 1080 Ti on release. I would have had six months more play out of it. Meaning when you buy is as important as what you buy.

It's obviously best to let a GPU release, and wait a bit to see if the series has problems. Then you won't buy a lemon.

However more in relation to your question, it's up to you. One experience I can share is how I played...

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
I bought 2 radon r9 furys on ebay for about $100 each. Sold 1 locally for $125. So $75 total cost. It was high end when it was released in 2015ish. These days it's very mid level for half the price and twice the power of an equivalent gpu.
I tend to upgrade my gpu for something 100% more powerful and my CPUs at 75% more powerful than what I have.
With prices almost always trending downwards you might go with the buying one and waiting until it isn't useful anymore before upgrading. I think your numbers in your first option won't quite line up with reality once things are said and done. But fortunately you will have the ability to know for sure whenever the time comes as to what the best option would be.

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
I have 1080 Ti, which I bought one six months after release. I have had it two years and two months. (Total two years and eight months since release.)

The state of play is that it won't max Red Dead Redemption 2 and Metro Exodus (at 1440p) when I get them. However it will still max almost all other games.

Why am I blathering on about this, you may wonder. The point is, that if I had bought the 1080 Ti on release. I would have had six months more play out of it. Meaning when you buy is as important as what you buy.

It's obviously best to let a GPU release, and wait a bit to see if the series has problems. Then you won't buy a lemon.

However more in relation to your question, it's up to you. One experience I can share is how I played Assassin's Creed: Origins. My 4790K would struggle in places like the busy cities. When I upgraded to a (new mobo and CPU) 8700K, Origins was smooth everywhere. On reflection it would have been better to upgrade sooner. The 4790K made origins stutter and spoilt the experience. Origins flies on the 8700K.

Last thing to note is 'what you like'. What I mean is, I could run Red Dead Redemption 2 and Metro Exodus on my 1080 Ti, with lower settings. It will still be as gorgeous a picture as any other game that my GPU can max. (Meaning a game that demands as much GPU power.) RDR2 just won't be as gorgeous as it can be.

it depended then, on are you happy with how pretty your GPU makes games look, as it is.

My personal point of view overall would be. If you games look rough and play rough, upgrade. Don't sacrifice frame rate because it will stale the experience. Either drop settings, or upgrade, or wait to play more demanding games on later hardware.

Maybe the desired situation for me, would be buy 3080 Ti soon after release. Or I could keep going with my 1080 Ti and drop settings a bit., since 1080 Ti can make a very nice image. The real crush in games is like when you hold a flame torch, and frame rate tanks about 10fps or more. While the rest of the game runs fine.

Solution