Question Replace Graphics Card or Whole PC?

JetJetJaguar

Commendable
May 24, 2016
Hi:

I want the new Oculus Rift S and my PC graphics card doesn't get to either the minimum

NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti / AMD Radeon RX 470 or greater

or the maximum recommended

NVIDIA GTX 1060 / AMD Radeon RX 480 or greater

I want to know if it is better to buy a new PC or a new video card. Here is info on my existing system.

HP Envy 700-430qe
Intel Core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.50Ghz
32 GB RAM
64-bit processor
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745
Power Supply is either 460W or 500W (I suspect 500W as I tried to buy for the future... haha...)

Any idea what is the best graphics card that I can drop into this PC? If it comes down to replacing power supplies or other things I am ready to buy a new machine and move this one to another home.

Thanks for helping me out on this folks.

DSzymborski

Titan
Hi:

I want the new Oculus Rift S and my PC graphics card doesn't get to either the minimum

NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti / AMD Radeon RX 470 or greater

or the maximum recommended

NVIDIA GTX 1060 / AMD Radeon RX 480 or greater

I want to know if it is better to buy a new PC or a new video card. Here is info on my existing system.

HP Envy 700-430qe
32 GB RAM
64-bit processor
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745
Power Supply is either 460W or 500W (I suspect 500W as I tried to buy for the future... haha...)

Any idea what is the best graphics card that I can drop into this PC? If it comes down to replacing power supplies or other things I am ready to buy a new machine and move this one to another home.

Thanks for helping me out on this folks.

A 4790 is still a viable CPU, even if not quite in the top-tier any more. The GTX 745 obviously is not.

Power supply, you'd need to identify the exact power supply that's in there. Who makes it is even more important than the wattage. "500W" could mean at least an adequate PSU or it could mean literal garbage.

Reactions: Barty1884
Nothing wrong with your current PC, except that old graphics card. The i7-4790 is more than good enough for a GTX 1060 (or 1070)/RX 580.

Depending on the quality of the PSU, it's enough wattage for the job. An i7-4790 with a GTX 1060 would struggle to use more than 250w for the whole system.

May 2, 2019
It is a nice enough setup to run stable asides the requirement of a 1060, which i would recommend to buy as a refurbished one which cuts the investment needed by around 1 third of the bulk-price. Leave the rest of the system as is; Your CPU has more Power and versatility than needed, the amount of RAM and its speed and latency is far more than needed.

If you really do think about replacing the whole system, due to some weird answers which are basically nonsensical and fundamentally flawed by no insight into the tech at all, well ... Buy a XBox One S discless, do not buy the XBox One X, simply because it doesn't deliver what is advertized, yet.

But as i said, your PC fullfills all necessities, but the GPU. To invest into a 1050 Ti is cost-efficiently crap in comparison to investing into a 1060 refurbished. If you really do think you absolutely need a new retail graphics-card of these models, just because there is plastic wrapped around and you get 2 years Warranty, well let me say it so: Just ask if the refurbisher wraps it in plastic for you and buy a second year warranty for the extra of 10 to 20 bucks atop. Which effectively guarantees that the card works, because it has been run before in a steady corporate surrounding, stable and proven, else it wouldn't have been refurbished. Simple as that.

Have fun with your upgraded-by-a-well-tested-refurbished-1060 system!

P.s.: If you are wondering if the bitwidth-difference actually makes a difference: No, it doesn't, not on your system, not on a spanking new, at least not if you do not also have a motherboard that provides 192- or 256- -Bit width minimum, which means: you could have bought a shiny car for the same sum invested. - So don't even riddle your existence, by these tech-spec-details, that only make sense to be aware of and follow if you want to create and debug in real-time for example for Unreal Engine 4. - I assume you won't?

JetJetJaguar

Commendable
May 24, 2016
Thank you all so much for taking the time to give such great advice. I will think about it overnight but my first blush is to try the refurbished 1060. The price is right and it is high end recommendation for the need. My original equipment HP power supply should be able to put out the 500w that the HP spec's claim (I hope).

Again thanks.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Looks like that unit shipped with a DPS-500A B-15A which is a Delta made unit.
https://www.impactcomputers.com/dps-500ab-15a.html

Max 420W on the 12V rail (combined 35A)....
s-l1600.jpg

I would have no issues running anything up to about a 2070 off of that unit. Not necessarily ideal, but Delta are some enough units. A 1060 or 580 would be no concern.

Of course, this is just amateur detective work - so confirm what the PSU in question is before doing so.

How much are you willing to spend for a graphics card? For VR, I would want as good a card as you can get within your budget. If buying new, something in the range of a GTX 1660, 1660 Ti or RTX 2060 might be good "mid-range" options, all with relatively moderate power draw.

JetJetJaguar

Commendable
May 24, 2016
Willing to spend: Plenty if its worth it. Meaning that I am not just throwing money at something that my rig cannot run well.

This is the power supply that I have in this HP. What is the best GPU I can put into it? Also what is the best "bang for the buck" GPU? Many thanks

Manufacturer: Delta Electronics
Part Number: DPS-460DB-1A
Power (Watts) 460

JetJetJaguar

Commendable
May 24, 2016
Thanks and.... am I just a simple inexpensive power supply away from a very nice graphics upgrade?

I see this refurbished 600w is only $25. And I now know that 600w doesn't mean 600w. And the GTX 1070 specs don't say what power is required.

I seem to remember that there was a web tool that would let you enter your parts and it would tell you the total power needs. Can anyone point me to that?

https://www.deltatechstore.com/hp-3...TnjRT2iBfmPVgcZlD5-irzlEYAFWYP9BoCpW4QAvD_BwE

I am learning so much so fast thanks to this group!

Last edited:
No sense in buying a new pc.
Your processor is still quite capable.
A new pc would come with a minimal psu just like the one you have.
Here is a handy chart for the power required for various graphics cards.
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Look at the leads coming out of your PSU.
If you have a 6 pin aux pcie graphics connector, you can run a GTX1060 6gb card.
If the power lead is a 6+2 type, you can run a stronger GTX1660ti.

JetJetJaguar

Commendable
May 24, 2016
I found a PC builder upgrade tool and it hurts my head to try to use it. On the up side I see that replacing the power supply is a snap.

Does anyone have a suggestion for best GPU and what power supply output would be needed for it for this system? I think I can "buy and go" from there.

HP Envy 700-430qe
32 GB RAM
64-bit processor
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745
Power Supply Delta 385W

Thanks

GTX1050ti is a big upgrade over your current graphics and can be dropped in using the same psu. You could try that.
If you are uncertain if you should go stronger, buy an EVGA GTX1050ti that does not need aux power.
Then, you will get the EVGA 90 day upgrade plan to turn it in for a stronger card if you need one. Read the fine print at EVGA.

On a stronger card, you will want a good replacement psu. I would recommend the Seasonic focus in 550-650w.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817151203
That will run any card you want up to a RTX2080.

JetJetJaguar

Commendable
May 24, 2016
Great help, many thanks.

It does look like the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti is a "one and done" win for this need. It's $190 with a refurbished going for $140 at NewEgg.

For anything more powerful than that I would need this,

Seasonic FOCUS series SSR-750FM 750W 80 + Gold Power Supply, Semi-Modular, ATX12V/EPS12V (gets me 750w, way above the GTX 1060 needs), $100.

That opens up more powerful GPU options but... it is worth it for this system? I see that the Tom's top recommended VR card is over a grand and needs much more than 750W's.

Still, if a $100 powersupply and something under $400 for a GPU unlocks a considerablly better gaming system, I am interested.

Great help, many thanks.

It does look like the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti is a "one and done" win for this need. It's $190 with a refurbished going for $140 at NewEgg.

For anything more powerful than that I would need this,

Seasonic FOCUS series SSR-750FM 750W 80 + Gold Power Supply, Semi-Modular, ATX12V/EPS12V (gets me 750w, way above the GTX 1060 needs), $100.

That opens up more powerful GPU options but... it is worth it for this system? I see that the Tom's top recommended VR card is over a grand and needs much more than 750W's.

Still, if a $100 powersupply and something under $400 for a GPU unlocks a considerablly better gaming system, I am interested.

the 1050Ti isn't a bad buy for the money (although RX580 and RX570 prices can fall in the same price zone on occasion)... From a power-use /performance perspective the 1650 is better and uses close to the same amount of power.
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=443

prices seem to fall in line and there is overlap in price going as low as $150 USD from some resellers for either one.
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=380,443&sort=price&page=1

So, if you haven't already purchased it, I'd look at the 1650 closer.

For under $450, you can upgrade CPU, RAM, and motherboard to a Ryzen 2600:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($164.39 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($145.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB MINI ITX OC Video Card ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($57.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $638.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-03 12:40 EDT-0400

This here includes all required upgrades AND a new PSU with room for upgrading some parts in the future. It reuses your case, storage, and peripherals. It will more than likely require a repair at the least, or a new reinstall of Windows though.

JetJetJaguar

Commendable
May 24, 2016
So, if you haven't already purchased it, I'd look at the 1650 closer.

I think I will switch to that one.

I see that it does outperform my last pick here

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1650/3649vs4039

But I do not see it on the power usage list here

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

However when I compare the cards here and here

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti,4787-6.html

They do seem comparable (I might be missing something)

If I buy without a power supply I will need it running on a 380W Power Supply.

Thank you for the detailed help.