Question Replace HDD with SSD

eddieprice19

Honorable
Feb 23, 2014
I want to replace my laptop's hd with an ssd. I have seen lots of posts on this subject, but I am still having problems. I tried cloning using AOMI software
but the ssd wont boot, so I tried a clean installation using a Windows 7 iso file on a usb flash drive.

I replaced the hd with the ssd and in the Bios i moved the ssd to the bottom of the boot list. I powered up and Windows install went through the various steps of loading files, choosing language, license terms, etc. I chose "custom" for the installation, but then for the 'next' step the ssd is not shown - "No driver selected, Click "Load Drivers" to provide a mass storage driver. I click but nothing happens. Where do I find the driver, or how do I get the ssd listed?

eddieprice19

Honorable
Feb 23, 2014
Yes, sorry I should have done that.

The laptop is an Acer Aspire 5051. The HD is an IDE Samsung 140 Gb and the ssd is an msata fitted to an msata to IDE adapter. I also have a usb to IDE adapter. When I attach the ssd to a usb port and run the iso file the ssd is recognised, but then the Windows 7 installer states that it cannot install via a usb port.

eddieprice19

Honorable
Feb 23, 2014
Sounds like Win7 is lacking the driver for the IDE/mSata bridge chip in the adapter you are using to me.
Not sure I can help identify it, can you link to the exact one you purchased?
I have a usb to ide adapter and I was able to clone the ssd, but when I
substituted the ssd for the hd the ssd would not boot

I tried to insert an image of the ssd, but failed.

The 120 Gb msata card is plugged into a pcb, which is the same size as the 2.5" HD, with the same ide terminals. I assumed that the os would communicate with it in the same way as for the hd. From the entries on the internet it appears to be a common problem without a clear solution.