Replace HDDs with silent flash storage

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
I'd like to replace aging and noisy HDDs with inexpensive and above all silent storage like ssd/flash. I don't care about speed, as it will be used for file backups, videos and music. HDD speed is ample, I'd just like to make my whole system as loud as a modern tablet or a mobile phone- ie completely silent.

I've changed everything in my case to be silent, the last thing remaining are the hard drives. I need 2tb of storage to make the complete transition. Getting 2tb of ssds would cost about 500euros. I'd like something with half or less the price as I don't care about the speed (so long as it's comparable to regular HDD speed).

Is there anything I can do?

Solution

A gigabit LAN cable (Cat5e) is about...

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Start saving your money.

Or you could buy a case with a LOT of insulation like a Fractal Design, and use a 2TB hard drive. You will barely hear it.

SSD's come in two speeds, fast (400MB/s)and very fast (550MB/s), where HDD's are at 150MB/s, price wise there's not a lot of difference.

You might be lucky and get 4x512 for that.

However why not have a small SSD for the OS (120/240). And then HDD storage (reusing your current drives) in a NAS box that can be put somewhere else at the back of a cupboard somewhere (with some ventilation) where the noise won't matter.

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
I already have 840 250gb evo. I'm happy with the noise it makes :D

I need access to my 2x 1tb HDD at all times so removing them from my room does not look like a viable option- more so that I wouldn't know where else to put it. I keep my current system in Cooler Master CM690 case under the bed where it's even more whisper quiet, but not so that I can't hear it when I want to sleep.

I'm just being very picky I guess. I was hoping that maybe there are cards or usb sticks or something "flashy" that I can use. I guess I'll have to "soldier" through with merely a whisper quiet computer for a couple of more years. Thank you for your answers.

USAFRet

Titan
Under the bed? I can think of few worse places to keep a PC. Dust, dead skin, etc, etc...

And the suggestion of a NAS box is right on target. As long as it is on the same LAN (connected to the router), it is accessible 24/7. Just happens to live in a different room.

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
I keep my room clean and my pc case cleaner with regular cleaning of the dust filters from every side of the case. Dust rarely get's in my chassis and when it inadvertently does, I vacuum it up too. Under the bed does make the whole system even more quiet, but not silent- hence my original post.

I'm not sure where could I put NAS... Living room? And i'm terrible with network connections, I'm not sure I'd know how to connect them. The best I did was barely managing a win7 LAN connection with the living room PC long time ago. That old PC could potentially be my NAS, but 1gb LAN cable sounds slow to me. Am I wrong? Could I even upgrade that? Again- I'm terrible with network options and doodads.

USAFRet

Titan

A gigabit LAN cable (Cat5e) is about the fastest thing you'll see in a consumer environment.
How is your system connected to the router now?

For the NAS, or an old PC...just have to connect it to that same router.

Or pony up $500 for 2TB of SSD space.

Solution