[SOLVED] Replace Intel 9560 in HP Omen cb-cb0011nv

kazol97

Commendable
Oct 9, 2018
Hello,

I recently purchased the HP Omen 17 cb0011nv laptop which has an Intel Wireless-AC 9560 Wifi + bluetooth card connected on the M.2 port in the motherboard.
I will replace this card because I am going to install Mac and I want to have native Wifi support without having to connect an external usb wireless adapter.
I know the Intel Wireless-AC 9560 uses the M.2 port and the size is 2230. I have found several Mac compatible Wifi M.2 cards which are the same size and should fit, however they have three differrent "pin sections" while Intel 9560 has only two. My question is whether this is a problem or the "three pin section" cards should also fit without problems. Also is there any possibility that the BIOS has a whitelist of wifi cards, so the broadcom cards may be unsupported ?

2020-01-30-22-41-51.jpg

Solution
Would help if it it wasn't a render. Hard to count the pins.

Your 9560 is labeled as E type:
E24–31PCIe ×2, USB 2.0, I2C, SDIO, UART and PCM

So perhaps that last one is E+B?

B12–19PCIe ×2, SATA, USB 2.0 and 3.0, audio, UIM, HSIC, SSIC, I2C and SMBus

Worth a shot I would think. If it physically goes into the notches available on your laptop, then it should function. The whole purpose of the keying is to prevent incompatible cards.

Though they pretty much standardized on B, M, and B+M cards to differentiate between NGFF, SATA, and PCIe compatibility.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Would help if it it wasn't a render. Hard to count the pins.

Your 9560 is labeled as E type:
E24–31PCIe ×2, USB 2.0, I2C, SDIO, UART and PCM

So perhaps that last one is E+B?

B12–19PCIe ×2, SATA, USB 2.0 and 3.0, audio, UIM, HSIC, SSIC, I2C and SMBus

Worth a shot I would think. If it physically goes into the notches available on your laptop, then it should function. The whole purpose of the keying is to prevent incompatible cards.

Though they pretty much standardized on B, M, and B+M cards to differentiate between NGFF, SATA, and PCIe compatibility.

Solution

kazol97

Commendable
Oct 9, 2018
So there is not standard way to know if this will work ? I mean I counted the pins and it seems it will fit but will it work ? Is there anywhere written that an E + B type will work like an E type; I would like to know before spending about 50 dollars on the new card :sweatsmile:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure. More laptop motherboards out there than you can reasonably expect them to know about. Why they would single out HP and Lenovo, might be they typically don't have the appropriate slot.

NGFF and M.2 are basically the same thing. Next Generation Form Factor. M.2 is a physical standard over which many protocols are possible.

The most common is between SATA and PCIe (NVMe) support.

Pretty sure it will work, as long as the recipient socket doesn't have a notch of its own that will get in the way.