Replace Mother Board or Buy New Computer?

c.aliu97

Prominent
Feb 13, 2018
I have a PC with those specs:
- RAM: 3GB DDR2
- Processor: AMD Phenom ii x4 945 3.0 GHz 95W (This was brought a year ago for replacing a slower processor)
- Mother Board: ASRock ALiveNF7G-GLAN
But the Mother Board had an issue which made it to get it's integrated graphic card heated (same with an external one).

So I wanted advice for choosing:

-- Buy new PC probably with an i3 or something cheap for about 300-400 €
-- Try to find a new motherboard (new or second hand) and stick with it until another thing fails (the old PC was brought back in 2009, so almost 10 years old)

(I don't want a gaming PC)

Thanks you

zoltan.boese

Estimable
Jan 30, 2018
The system you currently have is very outdated, there is no reasonable upgrade option.

A new system would also cost much, I would recommend a Pentium, or just follow this guide https://pcmasterracebuilds.com/cheapest-400-dollar-gaming-pc-build/

The best value would be buying a used 4th-6th gen intel computer wit DDR3 RAM and a reliable power supply.

c.aliu97

Prominent
Feb 13, 2018

Thanks you for your answer,
But if I get the chance of buying a second hand Mother Board for, say, 20 or 30 €, would it be viable?

zoltan.boese

Estimable
Jan 30, 2018

What improvement do you await from another motherboard? Are you sure it is the motherboard that leads to high iGPU temperatures?
If you have 20-30 euros, spend it on more RAM or a better cooler. Look for a used Cooler Master Hyper 212 or Thermalright Macho...

c.aliu97

Prominent
Feb 13, 2018

Well I just wanted to replace it, I tried placing other external GPUs there and the heating problem doesn't get solved, so my guess is that the motherboard may be broken.

zoltan.boese

Estimable
Jan 30, 2018
I am not sure you use the right terms. But I think it is simply your processor (CPU) overheating. And I also suspect, the cause is not the motherboard, you simply have an insufficient CPU cooler. That is why I wrote you cooler recommendations in my previous reply.

c.aliu97

Prominent
Feb 13, 2018

Well, maybe I should have started asking for solutions for fixing the old PC's Motheboard (searched for it in Google but no solutions worked...), but the thing is:
The CPU is fine. It all started when I couldn't boot into Windows because the screen started to show strange "patterns" (something like this but in black and white because of theletters of the booting screen) and after doing some tests I found out that the integrated GPU overheated just in seconds, so I tried installing an external one but then that one is the one that gets overheated.
That's how I figured out the problem.