[SOLVED] Replace Nvidia GTX 650 for GTX 1660

Jun 12, 2020
Hi everybody!

I'm currently trying to improve my computer and I would like to play videogames like Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord or use it for other computer related tasks. I have a couple of questions regarding that and I hope that you can help me.

My current system specs are:

Graphics Card: GTX 650
CPU: Intel Core I7 3770
Motherboard: Intel Z77M-D3H
Memory: 8GB DDR3

Could I change my GTX 650 for the GTX 1660 with my current motherboard or should I upgrade for a new one?

Is there something in my system that I could improve as I have this computer since 2012 for better performance or should I buy a new computer? I don't know if the change of the computer graphics card (in case is possible) is enough for this task.

Thank you so much,

Tryndax

Solution
You should be able to install the GTX 1660 into your current system, depending on your power supply (it's completely compatible with your motherboard).

The only other thing I'd consider is your RAM. What is it's speed (DDR3-1600/1333/1066/800) and configuration (1x8GB, 2x4GB, 4x2GB)?

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
You should be able to install the GTX 1660 into your current system, depending on your power supply (it's completely compatible with your motherboard).

The only other thing I'd consider is your RAM. What is it's speed (DDR3-1600/1333/1066/800) and configuration (1x8GB, 2x4GB, 4x2GB)?

-Wolf sends

Reactions: tryndax
Solution
Jun 12, 2020

-Wolf sends

Thanks for your fast reply.

The speed is 1333 MHz. In windows task administrator the configuration I get for the memory is 2 slots being used of 4.

With CPU-Z the specs I get for the ram memory are:
Module size: 4GB
Ranks: dual.

Jun 12, 2020
This board isn't perchance from an OEM system such as a Dell or HP or something, is it? If so, which brand and model is the PC itself?

The OEM PCs have boards that are sometimes fussystubborn about more modern graphics cards.

Hi! Thanks for your reply. My computer was built in a small shop with diferent components part by part and mounted by them.

The motherboard is a Intel Z77M-D3H and the manufucturer is Gygabyte Technology. In CPU-Z I can see that right after the model name is a text that says "To be filled by O.E.M.". That could give me any problem?

Also I see below that in the graphic interface appear some fields like:
Version: PCI-Express
Link Width: x16
Max Supported: x16