Replace or Refund?

Zelus

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
I recent bought a low-end Biostar AM2 motherboard. It arrived defectived, so I RMA'd it. I got the replacement in today, and it's even more defective than the last one! At least that one would POST and provide some sort of video output before it locked up. This one won't even POST.

Should I RMA this one again and try for a 3rd? Or give up, take the loss and get as much of a refund as I can? Thanks!

Specifically this board:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138038

Assman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005
rma it again, but first make sure that your ram and psu are not defective, if you can test ram by running memtest86 on a different pc.

Zelus

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
Well, I don't have another board that accepts DDR2 at the moment. I can't say for certain that the Proc (sempron 3000+), PSU, or ram are good because I've never gotten this system off the ground. :/

If I've been incorrect, and it hasn't been the motherboard, then there's no reason that two working motherboards should show two different symptom sets with the same parts. Right?

Plus, the previous board used to give me a good POST beep before locking up. My expirence in the past has been that if the PSU is bad, the motherboard recognizes it and gives an appropriate signal. I've never encountered bad RAM or a bad processor before, so I don't know the symptoms of those, but I don't think the last motherboard would have POSTed if they were.