[SOLVED] Replace or Upgrade Asus M32AD PSU

Jan 1, 2021
In 2016, I purchased an enhanced Asus M32AD with Intel i5, 500GB SSD, 16GB RAM, 1TB HD, GTX760 card. The PSU is Delta DPS-500AB-6 A (500W). Recently, I replaced the MoBo & CPU with Asus Prime B450M MoBo and Ryzen 5 2600X. I also installed 16GB DDR4 RAM, a 1TB M2 system drive and loaded it with Windows 10 from USB. Now and then the PC fails to boot - The screen stays blank and the Asus logo never appears. If the logo appears it always continues into Windows with no problem. I am concerned that the frequency of boot failure is increasing so I am wondering if I need a new PSU. I don't think the existing 500W supply is overloaded, so it could just be wear and tear. I've had to replace PSU's on other PC's and intermittent boot failure has always been the first sign. I may inherit my son's GTX1080, so the PSU will have to accommodate some extra load from that (compared to the GTX760 I have).

So my first question is: what are the specs for a replacement PSU (of at least 500W, maybe more)? Is there a configuration description to let me know if it will be compatible? We have a small shop nearby that carries a few PSU's and if I could get it from him it would be great - would cost way more but we want to buy local if we can (we are in the middle of nowhere).

At the same time, perhaps you could recommend one or more good replacements to buy online if we can't get something here.

I have an ongoing thread elsewhere in this forum regarding drive numbering (0, 1, 2..) and if it relates to the boot problem. But I want to start the "replacement" discussion on its own- I need a quick answer.

Thanks,
Sean

Solution
Have you tried updating the BIOS? It sounds like a motherboard issue to me, because I had a motherboard that does that. As for the PSU, it is a good unit, and would suffice for a Gtx 1080.
Jan 1, 2021
Have you tried updating the BIOS? It sounds like a motherboard issue to me, because I had a motherboard that does that. As for the PSU, it is a good unit, and would suffice for a Gtx 1080.
I have contemplated updating the BIOS but am really nervous about bricking it - So many horror stories. How long should it take? We have frequent power cuts and my UPS is probably only good for 10 minutes running (biggest I could get here). The MoBo's not expensive but it could take me months to get a replacement where I am.

Jan 1, 2021

I finally got around to updating the BIOS - Made no difference. So I replaced the PSU with a Corsair CV550 - No difference. I even tried popping the battery and shorting the CLRTC pins but that didn't help either. It still takes 5 to 10 attempts before it will boot to the Asus logo and it seems to be getting harder each time. If the logo pops up it continues to Windows. So now I am stumped. I can only think perhaps the MoBo is defective.

I finally got around to updating the BIOS - Made no difference. So I replaced the PSU with a Corsair CV550 - No difference. I even tried popping the battery and shorting the CLRTC pins but that didn't help either. It still takes 5 to 10 attempts before it will boot to the Asus logo and it seems to be getting harder each time. If the logo pops up it continues to Windows. So now I am stumped. I can only think perhaps the MoBo is defective.
Yeah, I agree. It is a defective board.

Jan 1, 2021
Yeah, I agree. It is a defective board.
Well you were right about the PSU - So I expect you are right again. I'll let you know eventually - It could take weeks for me to get a replacement (I am in the middle of nowhere). Meanwhile, I am finding that whenever I unplug a USB HD from the front USB port, the disk tray pops open and asks for a disk!

TRENDING THREADS