Question Replace pre-applied thermal compound or use the compound applied by the heatsink manufacturer?

Imacflier

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
Well, as usual the title is just about the whole question. The details: HP applies a thermal compound which turns into the equivalent of cement tile caulk over time. On the other hand, it is silk screened onto the heat sink so it is a perfect application.

So, which is more important: the quality of the thermal paste or the quality of the application? Do I use the heatsink as is or re-apply?

TIA,

Larry

Solution
Well, as usual the title is just about the whole question. The details: HP applies a thermal compound which turns into the equivalent of cement tile caulk over time. On the other hand, it is silk screened onto the heat sink so it is a perfect application.

So, which is more important: the quality of the thermal paste or the quality of the application? Do I use the heatsink as is or re-apply?

TIA,

Larry
There is but a tiny difference in thermal paste, OEM or aftermarket.

Leave it as is, until such time as you need to redo it, several years from now
What CPU and cooler?

I know what you mean with cement-like over time. AM4 systems have pulled the CPU straight out of the socket with the clamp down. If I could have went back to that scenario, I would have wiped off that perfect-looking thermal paste cement and replaced it with a normal aftermarket thermal paste. Don't get too worked up about a "perfect" application. Just my 2 cents.

USAFRet

Titan

TIA,

Larry
There is but a tiny difference in thermal paste, OEM or aftermarket.

Leave it as is, until such time as you need to redo it, several years from now

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Solution