Replace Proprietary HP PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2018
Ladies and gentlemen,

mfxGvR7.jpg

I tried to install this new power supply * in my HP PC **, but (as you can see in the picture above) it doesn't fit. According to HPs customer support the original part in it is a proprietary power supply that is recommended to be left inside. However, if I want to replace it with an regular ATX PSU I would have to enlarge the opening in the case.

What do you think about that? Is that feasible? Do you maybe have a better suggestion? Thanks.

* be quiet!, Pure Power 10, 500W
** Pavilion 590-p0600ng

2018-11-13; 19:09 UTC:

Firstly, thank you darkbreeze and Eximo. However, I dont know if the motherboard has a standard ATX mount pattern (since I dont even know what that looks like). I only know it has an Intel H370 chipset, is called Lincs by HP in the Product Specifications Document and looks like that:

c05992202.jpg

Solution
An adapter won't work anyhow if the physical dimensions of a standard ATX power supply won't fit into the case.

Even a different case won't work in this case since the board is also non-standard.

My advice would be, and this won't be the cheapest solution, but going forward it would probably be the best solution, and that would be to replace both the power supply AND case, and keep the PSU you already bought. In this way, going forward, you will not have to revisit these issues again nor will you be limited to purchasing proprietary products and can practically eternally use the new case for build after build after build if you wish to.

I have cases that I've been using since the early 90's that are still, and probably always will...
No, it is not feasible. You need to either get a direct replacement OEM unit or move everything to a new case IF the motherboard is not also proprietary. This is the biggest problem with prebuilt OEM systems.

They do this on purpose so that users will be forced to either upgrade or purchase replacement parts from them.

Motherboard is special custom size for special custom size small case. Such non-standard size PCs are not very upgradable with standard size parts.

Notice the motherboard doesn't use the standard 24-pin power connection that your power supply has.

It does not look like that motherboard will fit an aftermarket bare PC case.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06039477
•Form factor
•Customized: 24.9 x 26.7 cm (9.80 x 10.5 in)

Nov 13, 2018

Thank you. I guess I will then go to the HP Support and ask them if they can sell me a replacement OEM PSU. Or do you maybe know if there are adapters which I could use?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Type the model name of the computer and replacement power supply into your online shopping choice. Should find you one that will fit. Possibly an HP Pavilion 590-p0047c or similar.

Seems to be too new for anyone to have made an off the shelf adapter for it, so not much luck in using a standard supply anyway.

You could get something like a Flex ATX or SFX power supply that might fit in the case, but then it would be down to hand wiring an adapter. Quite feasible with a multimeter and some basic knowledge of ATX wiring. But if that sounds like too much trouble, get yourself a new motherboard and chassis to use with it.

An adapter won't work anyhow if the physical dimensions of a standard ATX power supply won't fit into the case.

Even a different case won't work in this case since the board is also non-standard.

My advice would be, and this won't be the cheapest solution, but going forward it would probably be the best solution, and that would be to replace both the power supply AND case, and keep the PSU you already bought. In this way, going forward, you will not have to revisit these issues again nor will you be limited to purchasing proprietary products and can practically eternally use the new case for build after build after build if you wish to.

I have cases that I've been using since the early 90's that are still, and probably always will be for the most part, compatible with all past and future ATX power supplies and motherboards. This is one of the biggest reasons we generally advise avoiding OEM prebuilt systems.

Solution
Dec 23, 2018
Hi guys I foun solution for this problem I bought same computer I was prepared for its configuration so I tought I only need replace my graphic card. Then I realised that PSU is only 180w. After searching Internet it's came out that the only solution is to find original replacement from hp. I found that there is 310w for this case. In USA is no problem to buy it but UK you can forget about it for at least another 2 months and the price around will be around £90. So I keep searching for solution and here we are I found psu on ebay is KOLINK 500W. Size of this psu will fit case is 15cm 15cm 8cm you only have to drill some new holes for screws to install it, secondary connection to the motherboard PSU has same for 2x4. And now mysterious small 6pin connector is nothing else like green PS_on grey PWR_ok and two black com. If anyone needs help with this I will help, because I thing HP Dell and rest of them are not fair. On their website you can find that upgrading your pc is possible but then you are stuck before you start. I know that pre build pc are not for rebuilding them for super gaming machines and when I was buying this pc I didn't expect that for gaming I'm using ps and xbox, but is not fair that you are pushed to buy parts from them which are 2-3TIMES MORE EXPENSIVE and quality is comparable with non genuine

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
There are STX power supplies that could probably be crammed in there. But it just isn't worth the cost. Might as well replace the system at that point.

A clever person could wire up any number of non-standard power supplies to a computer. A few Vicor power packs are about that size and can be configured to deliver 12V+, 5V+ etc at the appropriate wattage.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

How big a GPU are you planning?

If you do have that 310W already you should be able to power anything up through a GTX1060 or even an RTX2060 somewhat okay. Anything more and you should be looking at a platform upgrade anyway.

You don't actually have to "Install" a power supply. It can sit outside the computer.

Not really found any adapters for the 690-0020na. I already see two versions of the Lincs board out there, but all the same scale of picture. If I had one in hand I could probably wire it up, but the detail on the image isn't really good enough to make out anything.

Just a cheap motherboard and case away from swapping all those other parts over into something you can upgrade.

In the future, it would be preferable if you'd start your own thread, and then if desired, include a link to a thread, like this one, that might already contain a lot of information that you want to reference. That way you, and everybody, gets the singular attention they deserve while not stepping on anybody else's thread. In the future, just FYI. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.