[SOLVED] Replace RAM?

dimdem

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Recently I have needed to reseat my RAM every few days to get past black screens. It works, then the problem recurs. I tried cleaning the contacts with alcohol and a microfiber cloth, to no avail. I then ran 4 passes with Memtest, which is the most that I can do with the free version. No errors. I will do another 4 passes, but I know that 8 in a row would be better. Still, I'm inclined to just put the money that I'd spend on the pro version of Memtest toward new RAM; the last time I needed Memtest I was probably running Windows 98. I just wanted to see if there was anything else obvious that I should try first.

dimdem

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I tried cleaning the sticks again and ran Prime95 overnight with no errors. If it happens again then I'll remove some sticks and see if I can eliminate it that way. Reseating the CPU is pretty daunting for someone like me who would never build a system. I guess that I'd have to remove the cooler for that? I'd probably screw it up. Maybe if I were really at a point where the only other option was to buy a new PC anyway I would decide that I had nothing to lose.