[SOLVED] Replace SCSI drive with SATA one?

Feb 11, 2020
I have a DELL Inspiron 5520 laptop (i7 with 15 inch screen) with a physical marking of WD10JPVT-75A1YT0 on the hard drive (1T capacity). The Hard drive has 7+15 pins. On the web many references to this drive are that it is a SATA-300Mbps device. But the Win7 device manager reports the drive as "WD10JPVT-75A1YT0 SCSI Disk Drive".

Q.) Can I assume this is a SATA-II and replace this with a SSD SATA-III drive??
Thanks.

Solution
Based on the part number of the disk, that is a SATA drive. An SSD swap should be no problem.
This being a laptop I would search the forums for someone who already done that to see if there are any problems.
If it shows up as SCSI it might be on a special dell controller that might have problems with any other disk than the one they used on it.

kanewolf

Titan
I have a DELL Inspiron 5520 laptop (i7 with 15 inch screen) with a physical marking of WD10JPVT-75A1YT0 on the hard drive (1T capacity). The Hard drive has 7+15 pins. On the web many references to this drive are that it is a SATA-300Mbps device. But the Win7 device manager reports the drive as "WD10JPVT-75A1YT0 SCSI Disk Drive".

Q.) Can I assume this is a SATA-II and replace this with a SSD SATA-III drive??
Thanks.
Based on the part number of the disk, that is a SATA drive. An SSD swap should be no problem.

Feb 11, 2020
This being a laptop I would search the forums for someone who already done that to see if there are any problems.
If it shows up as SCSI it might be on a special dell controller that might have problems with any other disk than the one they used on it.
Yes. To be on safe side I checked this out. One person posted that he used SATA SSD with no issue but he did not talk about encountering SCSI info like me. The fact that Microsoft driver name ends with SCSI just threw me off and confused me.

As per Belarc profile of my laptop there is no SCSI HD controller. Only Intel C216 Chipset.
As per DELL support website, the system config for this service tag states, I have a SATA Hard Drive 1T/5400RPM and SATA CD-ROM and using HM77 chipset driver.

I will go ahead and install SATA-III SSD and update on this website with my result.
*** THANK YOU, TerryLaze and KaneWolf for you time and help.