[SOLVED] replace spectrum hardware

Dec 7, 2020
i’m new to toms hardware and have a question about modems and router. i have spectrum as my service provider, is it a good idea to get 3rd party hardware to replace the supplied ones that i get from spectrum? i want to get faster speed and better connection mainly. thank you.

Solution
its been happening off and on for a couple of month and affected wifi devices like security cameras, ipad, tvs. i tryd calling support twice last week but got discourage bc of all the pre recording and waiting time so i will try again tomorrow and hope ill get someone to come and look at my issue. in the mean time i was just looking at other options but thank you guys for responding to my post.👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾
WIFI can't be "fixed" with a single WIFI radio blasting a signal. Why? Because the device might be able to hear your "blaster" but can't respond because it has much lower transmit power. You could have lots of interference from nearby, competing WIFI. NO "mega router" can fix that problem.
To fix your network, you need...

USAFRet

Titan
i’m new to toms hardware and have a question about modems and router. i have spectrum as my service provider, is it a good idea to get 3rd party hardware to replace the supplied ones that i get from spectrum? i want to get faster speed and better connection mainly. thank you.
What speed to you pay the ISP for?
What speed do you get when wired directly to the router?
What is the make/model of the router?

I would go to your spectrum store with your current equipment and they should exchange the old equipment for the newest they got.
That's what I did with mine!
Side note, we cut the cord and got rid of cable but kept the internet, without knowing to remove the cable splitters, our internet would go out and back on very randomly and it was due to the cable splitters still being installed. If you have an issue like that, that might be the cause.
But yeah, the store should give you the newest stuff and it works really well for my household.

Dec 7, 2020
what the spectrum modem/router model? unlikely to get faster speed without paying for it
Modem: Hitro E31N2V1
Router: Sagemcom RAC2V1S
having problems with connection lately. speed is slow and hard to connect wifi. contacting service provider is a pain so im just doing a little research to see if i can get reliable 3rd party hardwares. any advice would deeply be appreciated.

USAFRet

Titan
Modem: Hitro E31N2V1
Router: Sagemcom RAC2V1S
having problems with connection lately. speed is slow and hard to connect wifi. contacting service provider is a pain so im just doing a little research to see if i can get reliable 3rd party hardwares. any advice would deeply be appreciated.
Different hardware on your end won't fix a problem on their end.

You NEED to contact them, so that you and they can track down the actual issue.

Does this happen on more than one system connected to that router?

Dec 7, 2020
its been happening off and on for a couple of month and affected wifi devices like security cameras, ipad, tvs. i tryd calling support twice last week but got discourage bc of all the pre recording and waiting time so i will try again tomorrow and hope ill get someone to come and look at my issue. in the mean time i was just looking at other options but thank you guys for responding to my post.👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
Spectrum usually provides dual band wifi routers. Make sure devices not in the immediate
vicinity of the router are on the 2.4Ghz band. The 5 Ghz band is better when your wifi
devices are close to the router. Many obstacles like walls make matters much worse.
Do an internet speed test with your phone, first on 2.4 then 5Ghz next to the router
and check the difference. 5Ghz is somewhat faster.
To check internet speed for it's real value, always use a wired ethernet connection, never wifi.
What model are you using?

kanewolf

Titan
WIFI can't be "fixed" with a single WIFI radio blasting a signal. Why? Because the device might be able to hear your "blaster" but can't respond because it has much lower transmit power. You could have lots of interference from nearby, competing WIFI. NO "mega router" can fix that problem.
To fix your network, you need to move stationary items, like TVs or game consoles to a wired connection. Save WIFI for portable devices.
IMO, WIFI is not reliable enough for security cameras. You had to get power to them, you might as well get a wired network connection also.

Solution