[SOLVED] Replace ssd on hp omen

Aug 4, 2021
Hi,

I have a hp omen laptop (out of warranty) that has a 256gb ssd that contains my os (W10) and a couple of backup/restore partitions.

My documents/photos/downloads and all my games etc map to internal optical drive (750gb).

I have no other internal sockets and would like to replace the SSD with a 1tb as the lack of space mean my windows updates no longer update.

What is the best way to do this while keeping all the hp stuff? I think I need to clone the drive with all it's partitions but how? With nowhere to plug another drive?

Thanks for any advice.

Solution
My error. It is 128 (I was missremembering when typing original post) ... Which also explains why it is nearly full up. It also implies I may only buy a 500gb drive.

Same question persists - how to replace the drive, while keeping the contents on various partitions and having the same files system and bootable.
What you will need is something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/SSK-Aluminum...MNFH1PX/ref=pd_lpo_3?pd_rd_i=B07MNFH1PX&psc=1

Fit the new ssd into the adapter and connect to the pc.
Clone old ssd to new ssd.
Remove old ssd and replace with new ssd.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I think you're referring to your HDD when you state optical drive. If you think you're loosing space, you can try and work with Disk Cleanup on your OS. Hit the start button, type Disk Cleanup and Run as Administrator. Check all the boxes and then hit okay, you should be cleared off all the crud in the OS drive. Might I ask what OS version you're on at the time of writing? SKU for your HP Omen laptop?

Cloning doesn't do any good, you should reinstall the OS and then manually reinstall all drivers after downloading them from HP's support site.

Hi,

I have a hp omen laptop (out of warranty) that has a 256gb ssd that contains my os (W10) and a couple of backup/restore partitions.

My documents/photos/downloads and all my games etc map to internal optical drive (750gb).

I have no other internal sockets and would like to replace the SSD with a 1tb as the lack of space mean my windows updates no longer update.

What is the best way to do this while keeping all the hp stuff? I think I need to clone the drive with all it's partitions but how? With nowhere to plug another drive?

Thanks for any advice.
If the new ssd is a 2.5 you can get a usb>sata cable and clone.
If the new ssd is a m.2 you can get a usb>m.2 enclosure and clone.

Aug 4, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I think you're referring to your HDD when you state optical drive. If you think you're loosing space, you can try and work with Disk Cleanup on your OS. Hit the start button, type Disk Cleanup and Run as Administrator. Check all the boxes and then hit okay, you should be cleared off all the crud in the OS drive. Might I ask what OS version you're on at the time of writing? SKU for your HP Omen laptop?

Cloning doesn't do any good, you should reinstall the OS and then manually reinstall all drivers after downloading them from HP's support site.

HP - 15-ce013na

I have a solid state drive and a traditional old style hard drive.

I have done all the standard disk clean ups etc,removed old versions of windows. It came with W8, but upgraded a few months later to w10 (64bit) home.

I would if possible like to keep the ability to use the HP restore feature which is currently on a partition on the SSD along with windows and MS office which i have been unable to install on the other drive to my annoyance.

Aug 4, 2021
If the new ssd is a 2.5 you can get a usb>sata cable and clone.
If the new ssd is a m.2 you can get a usb>m.2 enclosure and clone.

I have not purchased a new drive yet as I want to make sure it is possible to do what I want.

opening up the laptop I can see the standard hdd is SATA and I can see the ssd I wish to replace - this looks rather like a stick or ram with the connectors on the short end. I would like to remove this drive but have the contents on a new ssd that has a larger capacity.

I have not purchased a new drive yet as I want to make sure it is possible to do what I want.

opening up the laptop I can see the standard hdd is SATA and I can see the ssd I wish to replace - this looks rather like a stick or ram with the connectors on the short end. I would like to remove this drive but have the contents on a new ssd that has a larger capacity.
That's a m.2 ssd.
Now you need to figure out if it's a sata ssd or a pcie ssd.
Then you need to figure out what style it is 2280 or other.

Aug 4, 2021
The two existing drives appear in my device manager as below:

HTS721010A9E630_JB0O

SAMSUNG_MZVLW128HEGR-000H1CXB73H1Q

IDK which is which of even if these details help at all. EDIT google implies the samsung drive is the SSD and that it may be a PCI drive.

The two existing drives appear in my device manager as below:

HTS721010A9E630_JB0O

SAMSUNG_MZVLW128HEGR-000H1CXB73H1Q

IDK which is which of even if these details help at all. EDIT google implies the samsung drive is the SSD and that it may be a PCI drive.
That shows the ssd is 128GB.
Up above you said you had a 256GB ssd.
Run a pass of crystaldiskinfo and post a screen shot for the ssd.

Aug 4, 2021
That shows the ssd is 128GB.
Up above you said you had a 256GB ssd.
Run a pass of crystaldiskinfo and post a screen shot for the ssd.

My error. It is 128 (I was missremembering when typing original post) ... Which also explains why it is nearly full up. It also implies I may only buy a 500gb drive.

Same question persists - how to replace the drive, while keeping the contents on various partitions and having the same files system and bootable.

What you will need is something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/SSK-Aluminum...MNFH1PX/ref=pd_lpo_3?pd_rd_i=B07MNFH1PX&psc=1

Fit the new ssd into the adapter and connect to the pc.
Clone old ssd to new ssd.
Remove old ssd and replace with new ssd.

Reactions: Iapah
Solution