Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
System:
i3-2100
Radeon 6770 GPU
Gigabyte Z68 MB
Thermatake 600W PSU
XMS DDR3-1333 (2x4g) Memory

My GPU is toast, and being a few years old, I'm not certain of a couple things. My first time build has served me well, but now that technology keeps on advancing, I'm not sure If I should start from scratch, replace with a newer GPU, or swap out for my needs.

My first thought was to just upgrade the CPU with a higher end Ivy i5, but after research, my MB is not compatible with Ivy (cheap Gigabyte MB I guess). Second, invest in a higher quality GPU ($200 buck range). Or, blow it up and replace the CPU with a high end AMD processor and new MB (but I'm not sure if I can, complete building amatuer here) due to AMD's superior built-in GPU's.

For cost benefit analysis, is my memory and drive compatible to cross over from Intel to AMD, or do I reinstall and wipe the HD Drive or just disable/update drivers

I watch movies with family and light gaming, and until now has been great. I just think I may due for an upgrade of sorts. Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks in advance (this site has been invaluable)!

Solution
HD7850 would be a great choice. You are right on the method, uninstall, shut down replace, startup and install the drivers for the new card.

WoodrowWilson

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
Thanks for the fast responses, for ease, I was leaning this way too.

So do I uninstall/disable current GPU software and just take out and replace card?

I hate to say, but there's a BB (I have a MicroCenter out of the way which is where I bought original) on my way home, they have a Radeon 7770 and 7850 in stock, for $10 more the 1024 over 640 processor seems worth it (I know they gouge 30% over)?