[SOLVED] Replace working Corsair HX850i with other Good PSU

Mar 30, 2021
Hello friends. I have a big hard question, i have for now in my system Corsair HX850i it was bought like 6 years ago. Main question for me i want replace it. With my current GPU it works fine, i lost document for warranty and shop where i bought it like 4 years ago closed, so i will sell my current psu. Second problem i get with some of new videocards some of them for example 6800xt form sapphire make my pc shutdown, but 3090 Palit GameRock with overclocking works fine, 3080 gigabyte same made my pc shutdown. I read it can be, because of "power spikes" and trigger psu protection or something.
Because of mining and low amount of PSU's i want to make a correct decision and ofc i want get something better than my psu.

This is a list what i can buy for now(money not a big problem, just very low amount of good psus from 1000w):
  1. I made an order for ASUS ROG-STRIX-1000G = 306$
  2. I made an order for Corsair AX850 as i read in reviews it's one of the best PSU on market. = 313;
  3. I can buy ASUS ROG THOR 1200P 1200W Platinum = 448$
  4. I can buy Seasonic PRIME 1300W ATX PRIME-GX-1300 GOLD - it cost like Thor 1200w, but Thor probably better = 448$
  5. I can buy Seasonic PRIME PX-1000 (SSR-1000PD) ATX 1000W Platinum = 382$
  6. i can buy Super Flower Leadex Titanium 1000W = 368$
  7. I can buy CORSAIR HX1000i CP-9020074-EU 1000W = 329$
  8. I can buy Seasonic Prime GX-1000 (SSR-1000GD) 1000W Gold = 328$
  9. I can buy Seasonic PRIME TX-850 (SSR-850TR) 850W TITANIUM = 316$
  10. Seasonic FOCUS GX White Edition 1000W ATX GX-1000 (SSR-1000FX) White GOLD = 263$
P.S i thinking about Corsair AX1000 like a best variant, but it not in stock for now.

I need explain some positions in list:
ASUS ROG-STRIX-1000G and Corsair AX850 i can buy in my City, others only from Internet shops, so to use warranty if something goes wrong i need pay money and call to internet stores to solve that problem, where with this two i just will back it to local store and they will fix that.
ASUS ROG THOR 1200P 1200W Platinum it's a good deal for me, because it use modified seasonic base and have a good reviews, it have already sleeved cables when others don't to make a custom cables if i want will cost me additional 100$, i not want use extenders for cables and ofc it has 1200w power.
Super Flower Leadex Titanium 1000W not much reviews and 5 years of warranty.
CORSAIR HX1000i CP-9020074-EU 1000W I don't know if there is any new revision or any difference from 2014-2015 year is it still using type 3 cables ? BTW HX1000i it 20$ more than ASUS ROG-STRIX-1000G. I read alot reviews about HXi version they have more than others ripple and i scary about i will get same problems what i get on hx850i what i am using for now.
I don't know about what better to have best 850w Titanium psu or 1000w gold one asus strix or even spend money on Rog Thor 1200w with big amount of sleeved cables and 1200w what better than titanium 850w ?
I just can't get into right direction what to chose, mb i need just get ASUS ROG-STRIX-1000G and other psu's what cost more i not need them?
I Want make a smart choice to not overspend money, because mb they after next 3 years will made a some of new standart or new pins like with Nvidia with founders edition.

Thank you for help!

Last edited:
Solution
I am sorry, that's probably because i not understand voltage ripple it self, i know by intel specification it can be to 120mv, i read a lot different reviews and tried to pick up for one's with lowest ripple, yes i count other things like temps, noise and efficient. I not found any fresh reviews for hxi series. I am sorry about "I read alot reviews about HXi version they have more than others ripple". About Type 3 cables i personaly not like them, so word <Mod Edit> is wrong yes.

Main problem is due to personal warranty problems i make a decision to sell my HX850i what works fiine for now with my current build, so i just not want to make a "downgrade" to 750w even titanium or get same 850w(there is no point to sell if i will...
Mar 30, 2021
3090 works fine but trips with 6800 XT en 3080. That's kind of strange. @jonnyguru are there any known issues on HX850i with one of those gpus?
i don't know. It can be because it's old like 6-7 years. In Corsair ICUE it shows on low gpu load 12V drops from 12.00 to 11.90. It triggers red ligts on my Strix GPU.
irc red ligts triggers when detect power spikes.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
is it still using <Mod Edit> type 3 cables ?
I read alot reviews about HXi version they have more than others ripple
Excuse me ?
As of the PSU choice, i didn't quite get what GPU you're planning to use. If it's RX6800XT then pretty much any of these PSUs will be fine (even 750W versions of them too), if you plan to use RTX3080/3090 then you should be careful not to get Seasonic Prime based units, Jon can elaborate, but in short they have problems with these GPUs due to high transients. And these make up for half of your list, except Corsair HX-i, Corsair HX, ASUS ROG Strix, Seasonic Focus GX and Super Flower Leadex. So in the end i'd pick between these, personally probably between the two Corsairs, but ASUS Strix or Seasonic Focus are good alternatives too.

Reactions: NeeDforKill
Mar 30, 2021
Excuse me ?
As of the PSU choice, i didn't quite get what GPU you're planning to use. If it's RX6800XT then pretty much any of these PSUs will be fine (even 750W versions of them too), if you plan to use RTX3080/3090 then you should be careful not to get Seasonic Prime based units, Jon can elaborate, but in short they have problems with these GPUs due to high transients. And these make up for half of your list, except Corsair HX-i, Corsair HX, ASUS ROG Strix, Seasonic Focus GX and Super Flower Leadex. So in the end i'd pick between these, personally probably between the two Corsairs, especially since they're decently priced.
I am sorry, that's probably because i not understand voltage ripple it self, i know by intel specification it can be to 120mv, i read a lot different reviews and tried to pick up for one's with lowest ripple, yes i count other things like temps, noise and efficient. I not found any fresh reviews for hxi series. I am sorry about "I read alot reviews about HXi version they have more than others ripple". About Type 3 cables i personaly not like them, so word <Mod Edit> is wrong yes.

Main problem is due to personal warranty problems i make a decision to sell my HX850i what works fiine for now with my current build, so i just not want to make a "downgrade" to 750w even titanium or get same 850w(there is no point to sell if i will buy same 850w psu). That's why i looking for 1000+ , even this 1000w psus is very hard to get in my place. Today i got lucky to order Corsair HX1200w for 320$ - i thiking it's a best option for me - correct me if i am wrong.

P.S To clarify my "strange" moves about replace working psu. I live in Republic of Crimea what under USA Sanctions, so a lot brands just not working with Crimea and even for RMA they say "sorry", for example it's even not possible to ship anything to USA from Crimea by post. That's why i will sell my HX850i to someone in Russia, so if something got wrong he will get RMA, because i can't. I will buy new PSU one of the biggest retailer in Russia with alot local stores in my city, so it will be alot easier to get warranty if something goes wrong, because i will back it to local store and they will fix it or replace/moneyback.

I am very grateful to you all for your answers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Main problem is due to personal warranty problems i make a decision to sell my HX850i what works fiine for now with my current build, so i just not want to make a "downgrade" to 750w even titanium or get same 850w(there is no point to sell if i will buy same 850w psu). That's why i looking for 1000+ , even this 1000w psus is very hard to get in my place. Today i got lucky to order Corsair HX1200w for 320$ - i thiking it's a best option for me - correct me if i am wrong.

P.S To clarify my "strange" moves about replace working psu. I live in Republic of Crimea what under USA Sanctions, so a lot brands just not working with Crimea and even for RMA they say "sorry", for example it's even not possible to ship anything to USA from Crimea by post. That's why i will sell my HX850i to someone in Russia, so if something got wrong he will get RMA, because i can't. I will buy new PSU one of the biggest retailer in Russia with alot local stores in my city, so it will be alot easier to get warranty if something goes wrong, because i will back it to local store and they will fix it or replace/moneyback.

I am very grateful to you all for your answers.

The only difference between Type 3 and Type 4 cables are the sense pins on the 24-pin.

The HXi does NOT have a lot of ripple. Whoever reviewed it and says it does doesn't know how to properly test for it (like when someone uses the Passmark PSU tester, which reports "regulation" as "ripple".

And if you're in Crimea, you do not send your PSU back to USA for warranty service. There are warranty locations everywhere for Corsair. Did you even TRY to contact Corsair to see where the PSU would need to be sent?

And, finally, turn the multiple +12V rails off in iCUE/LINK and I bet the PSU works fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Mar 30, 2021
The only difference between Type 3 and Type 4 cables are the sense pins on the 24-pin.

The HXi does NOT have a lot of ripple. Whoever reviewed it and says it does doesn't know how to properly test for it (like when someone uses the Passmark PSU tester, which reports "regulation" as "ripple".

And if you're in Crimea, you do not send your PSU back to USA for warranty service. There are warranty locations everywhere for Corsair. Did you even TRY to contact Corsair to see where the PSU would need to be sent?

And, finally, turn the multiple +12V rails off in iCUE/LINK and I bet the PSU works fine.
Yes i already switched rail to single. My current build works fine, without any shutdown.
Yes i wrote them few days ago about possibility to get RMA from Crimea.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
I live in Republic of Crimea what under USA Sanctions, so a lot brands just not working with Crimea and even for RMA they say "sorry", for example it's even not possible to ship anything to USA from Crimea by post.
Can't you just say that you're in Russia, request Russian support and ship the PSU to Russia ?
i read a lot different reviews
That's the problem, 95% of so called 'reviews' aren't even reviews per se, just a bunch of pictures, without any measurements, often even without teardown and some made up 'conclusion' in the end. And those reviewers who take measurements are doing it with some cheap PSU tester, 10$ multimeter and a load consisting of a series of lightbulbs and then try to make up conclusion based on the data they get from that with a straight face. Chances are you've looked at Russian/Ukraininan reviews and i can't name a single reviewer there with the good data, hell, most of them don't even list equipment they use. I you want to read actual good reviews look no further than reviews by Aris Mpitzopoulos on Techpowerup and Tom's Hardware, but there're also Computerbase, TweakPC, Clubedohardware, most of Eteknix, Hardwareinsights, F14Lab and FCPowerup, and well, Jonnyguru for older reviews even thought there weren't anything new in ages. Google translate usually does a good job translating them to Russian but most of the time you don't even need that, data speaks for itself.

TRENDING THREADS