Question Replaced 256gb M.2 ssd with 1tb samsung 980 pro, and cant install windows 11, any idea?

WhatLuck150

Prominent
Mar 19, 2022
As stated in the question, I replaced the 256gb m.2 ssd with a 1tb samsung ssd. I originally had windows 11 on the system before, and can nolonger install it, as the drive doesn't show in the install manager. The driver does however show in the bios. The laptop in question is a Lenovo Yoga 7i(I5 15.6in, 256gb, 8gb ddr4).

As stated in the question, I replaced the 256gb m.2 ssd with a 1tb samsung ssd. I originally had windows 11 on the system before, and can nolonger install it, as the drive doesn't show in the install manager. The driver does however show in the bios. The laptop in question is a Lenovo Yoga 7i(I5 15.6in, 256gb, 8gb ddr4).
Is this a brand new ssd? Does it have a GPT partition identifier? Is all of its space totally unallocated? You could download a partitioning tool like Gparted, mount it on a usb (rufus.ie) and boot from that usb. Check the ssd, ensure it has a GPT identifier and is totally unallocated and windows 11 will install. Did this myself just last week and it works fine.

WhatLuck150

Prominent
Mar 19, 2022
Is this a brand new ssd? Does it have a GPT partition identifier? Is all of its space totally unallocated? You could download a partitioning tool like Gparted, mount it on a usb (rufus.ie) and boot from that usb. Check the ssd, ensure it has a GPT identifier and is totally unallocated and windows 11 will install. Did this myself just last week and it works fine.
Brand new, just opened 10 min before posting this question

Sick Jacken

Honorable
Sep 26, 2016
You could as well use it as MBR.. imo I've currently never had GPT drives or such, to an extention I've carried an external drive which was gpt because it needs to be compatible after a bug occured in all Windows 7 SP1/10 builds from 1809 up, bc Microsoft. You can try in MBR

Sick Jacken

Honorable
Sep 26, 2016
Not sure what a GPU has to do with changing an SSD....

it was a convo, man why you just take anything for granted that's over reacting is a basic of self knowledge. I am saying that currently all this new pc hardware nowadays is still from back in the days, millions and millions of GPU/CPU/Mobos end up in the junkyard bc of ram issues and small stuff that manufactuer does to milk more money because money is the eye of evil

I can install it into my desktop and try and do it that way, but the laptop only supports 1 m.2
As I said in my initial message create a usb using rufus.ie and mount the gparted iso on that usb. Then boot from the usb and use it to check your new ssd to ensure it has a gpt identifier and is totally unallocated. Windows 11 will then install on your new ssd. The Windows installer also prefers only 1 drive installed and since your laptop only holds 1 you are in compliance with that. So there will be no obstacles to installing Windows 11. Its that simple and always works that way.

WhatLuck150

Prominent
Mar 19, 2022
As I said in my initial message create a usb using rufus.ie and mount the gparted iso on that usb. Then boot from the usb and use it to check your new ssd to ensure it has a gpt identifier and is totally unallocated. Windows 11 will then install on your new ssd. The Windows installer also prefers only 1 drive installed and since your laptop only holds 1 you are in compliance with that. So there will be no obstacles to installing Windows 11. Its that simple and always works that way.
Just figured it out, apparently I needed something called a IRST(some kind of hard drive driver), and now it's letting me install windows 10(will upgrade to 11 later)

Reactions: dwd999
Just figured it out, apparently I needed something called a IRST(some kind of hard drive driver), and now it's letting me install windows 10(will upgrade to 11 later)
Great! Not sure why they want you to have that driver with an ssd but whatever it takes to make the d*** thing work is all that matters. Now you just have 1 more piece of arcane trivia to remember for the rest of the time that you use that model. But at least it works and that's all that counts! (BTW no need to rush and upgrade to W11, I tried the latest dev built on my alternate ssd and its still not ready for prime time IMHO).