[SOLVED] Replaced 4 G.Skill F2-6400cl5d-4gbpq ddr2-800 cl5-5-5-15 1.8~1.9v pc2-6400 2gx2 (8GB Ram) WITH 4 Hynix 4GB Pc2-6400 DDR2-800Mhz non-ECC Unbuffered C

Jun 26, 2021
Replaced 4 G.Skill F2-6400cl5d-4gbpq ddr2-800 cl5-5-5-15 1.8~1.9v pc2-6400 2gx2 (8GB Ram) WITH 4 Hynix 4GB Pc2-6400 DDR2-800Mhz non-ECC Unbuffered CL6 to get 16 GB going on my ASUS P5N7A-VM motherboard, American Megatrends Bio Build 5014 (current) , BUT when I boot up it shows that DIMM B1 & DIMM B2 are EMPTY????????????????? Didn't do this with the G.Skill 2GB DIMM. I have looked all over the web for an answer. AM Meg Bios does not have any section to alter memory slots etc. I don't know what to do. Is it Hynix? Is it the ASUS mother board? I'm 64 now, and could have probably figured it out when I was 20ish, but a recent stroke has allowed me to get this far. ANY HELP OUT THERE? Any ideas? Windows diagnostic doesn't find 'anything' wrong and Belarc says B1 & B2 are EMPTY when they each have matched 4GB sticks in them. Help. Billy

Reactions: SamirD
Solution
What cpu do you have? Could also be a limitation there.

If the Bs are empty, try removing the ones from the As, leaving just the Bs. If the Bs work, then it sounds like a system limitation or incompatibility. I would also try all the gskill modules again just to make sure nothing broke.

Memory4less is a solid company since they're one of the original 3rd party memory companies from back in the day, but they may not know about the compatibility issues.

I would definitely check the qvl list posted earlier for any 4gb module support and specifically the 16gb you're looking for and then just buy those modules used. A lot of newer modules will use higher density chips and may not work properly because of that.
Jun 26, 2021
All G. Skill is recognized in 4 slots, only 2 4GB sticks are seen in A1 & A2, B's are 'EMPTY'. Got these Hynix from Memory4less, their tech said they would work in ASUS P5N7A-VM MOBO. ASUS doesn't list Hynix in QVL. Could MOBO gone bad or Ram really not suited for MOBO.

What cpu do you have? Could also be a limitation there.

If the Bs are empty, try removing the ones from the As, leaving just the Bs. If the Bs work, then it sounds like a system limitation or incompatibility. I would also try all the gskill modules again just to make sure nothing broke.

Memory4less is a solid company since they're one of the original 3rd party memory companies from back in the day, but they may not know about the compatibility issues.

I would definitely check the qvl list posted earlier for any 4gb module support and specifically the 16gb you're looking for and then just buy those modules used. A lot of newer modules will use higher density chips and may not work properly because of that.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS