[SOLVED] Replaced asus z170e motherboard with z390a but won’t boot pasted dram test

May 4, 2020
My z170e mobo stopped working no power light on and replaced it with a z390a ASU’s motherboard and it won’t boot past the dram test even though a bought compatible ram and have tried everything else I have seen suggested on this forum. Should I buy a replacement z170e and send the 390 back or would you suggest a different mobo.

Solution
More info as to what happens when I turn pc on it starts up fans and everything working the cpu led goes on then off then the dram led goes on then the system shuts down then restarts and repeats the same process with same outcome then the third time it does it it just stays on but with no video output
As above. Any cpu that worked on the Z170 will not work on a Z390. Although they use the same socket only 6th & 7th generation work on 100 & 200 chipsets and 8th & 9th generation on 300 chipsets. They are not interchangeable.
May 4, 2020
More info as to what happens when I turn pc on it starts up fans and everything working the cpu led goes on then off then the dram led goes on then the system shuts down then restarts and repeats the same process with same outcome then the third time it does it it just stays on but with no video output

As above. Any cpu that worked on the Z170 will not work on a Z390. Although they use the same socket only 6th & 7th generation work on 100 & 200 chipsets and 8th & 9th generation on 300 chipsets. They are not interchangeable.

Solution