[SOLVED] Replaced cpu cooler, it’s hotter, HELP!

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
So when I was building my pc I compromised a little on the cooling. I got a cooler master Hyper 121 cpu cooler. I’m a gamer, and when I play games it averaged at 70-75C. It’s pretty hot, but not dangerously hot. I wanted to upgrade to get sound down (the cpu cooler itself is silent but I hear the wishing of air). I was a bit confused on the sizing of cpu coolers, I asked this website a few questions, and I came up with the Le grande Macho RT as an upgrade. It fit with my case size and pcpartpicker said it was alright! It was more expensive but It’s used to cool i9’s, I have an i5 (9th gen) So I figured I could get it and I would have good cooling! When it came it had about 3x of the direct contact heat pipes and heat sinks, it fit snuggly inside my case (phanteks eclipse p400s) and it seemed like a good fit on my motherboard (MSI Z390-A Pro) it was larger than my other cooler so it could catch more air with the fan blades without having to be so fast. I installed it carefully following the instructions, I removed the thermal paste (with rubbing alcohol) and replaced it, about the same amount I used as last time. It’s a bit large, but I figured that would make it better! So I finished up and hooked it up to my monitor, I opened my motherboards BIOS to check to make sure everything was alright. I noticed the cpu temp was 40C, while on my other cooler it was 30-35C, I didn’t think much of it. I did some gaming and my pc was getting pretty loud (I have smart fan mode, the hotter the cpu gets the faster the cpu cooler and case fans spin, it was the same as the other cpu cooler). I checked the temperature and it was 80C! Idk what went wrong in the process, I followed the instructions exactly for LGA socket 1151, the only thing I could think of was different was that I didn’t put the space in, it said it went between the cpu and the motherboards latch thing that held the cpu in place, but that wouldn’t let it close so I didn’t think it was that important if it would brake my motherboard to put it on. I don’t think it was that though. I used the same exact thermal paste as I did on my other cpu cooler, am I missing something! There’s no reason a $20 cpu cooler cools better and is quieter than a $80 cpu cooler. Am I doing something wrong? I need help, I’m worried that I probably broke something!

Solution
Back: Put screws in backplate slots. Use Teflon washers to hold, add motherboard protective cover and put through mobo holes.

Front: screw standoffs onto screws, hand tight.

Back: use screwdriver to finish tightening the standoffs.

Front: put spacer install plate onto standoffs and secure. Make sure cpu is clean, make sure to remove safety plastic from bottom of heatsink. If there's no pre-applied paste, add drop of thermal paste to cpu lid, set the heatsink onto the plate and screw it down using back and forth pattern until mounting screws are tight. Do not screw one side fully, and then the other, always alternate until tight. Mount fans.

Pretty simple instructions. Cpu should already be in place and latched before trying to...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Back: Put screws in backplate slots. Use Teflon washers to hold, add motherboard protective cover and put through mobo holes.

Front: put spacer install plate onto standoffs and secure. Make sure cpu is clean, make sure to remove safety plastic from bottom of heatsink. If there's no pre-applied paste, add drop of thermal paste to cpu lid, set the heatsink onto the plate and screw it down using back and forth pattern until mounting screws are tight. Do not screw one side fully, and then the other, always alternate until tight. Mount fans.

Pretty simple instructions. Cpu should already be in place and latched before trying to mount the heatsink.

Solution

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019

Pretty simple instructions. Cpu should already be in place and latched before trying to mount the heatsink.
I read over your post and watched the video several time, I did all the steps correctly, and I did exactly what the instructions told me to do. The only things that I can think of that I didn’t do was put the spacer in, and used a more professional brand of thermal paste than the one provided because I thought it would be cooler (temperature wise).

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Well, if it's good and tight, that's fine afaik, that spacer can add to the height of the hardware slightly, so if there's stuff just under the mounting bracket, it'd clear it.

Thermalright is actually very good paste, it's in the top 10 or so. The problem I have is with names. There's a lot of very professional or very good sounding stuff out there that's useless. It just Sounds good. But really isn't.

There's only 4 I personally will use, Noctua NT-H1, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut,Prolimatek pk-3 or Gelid Extreme GC. That's the top commercially available. The stuff from Thermalright, Cryorig, Phanteks is also good with their respective coolers. Arctic Mx-4 is good. Arctic silver 5 isn't so good and CoolerMaster is at the bottom of the list, but ok. Some fancy sounding pastes aren't much better than denture cream.