Question Replaced dead GPU with RTX 2080 - now to upgrade everything else

robbyv17

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
I built my first gaming PC a bit over 3 years ago, and it was doing just fine until about 2 weeks ago when my GPU died. I saw a great deal on a 2080 and pounced on it. I knew that I'd need to upgrade the rest of my PC to get the most out of my video card, so I'm here to ask the community if my game plan seems reasonable.
My original PC had the following:
  • GPU Sapphire Nitro R9 390 (RIP)
  • CPU i5-6500
  • Display Nixeus Vue 24", 1080p, FreeSync, 144Hz, TN panel
  • RAM 1x8GB DDR4 2400
  • MoBo MSI H110M Pro-VD
  • PSU 600W Bronze EVGA (non-modular)
  • Case NZXT H440
Here's what I'm thinking:
  • GPU EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra (already own)
  • CPU Ryzen 3700X
  • Display LG 34GK950F - 34" Ultrawide 1440p, 144Hz, Freesync 2, IPS panel
  • RAM 2x8GB DDR4 3200 CL14
  • MoBo MSI B450 Tomahawk
  • PSU 650-700W, Modular,
  • Case NZXT H440
This PC is just for gaming (no photo/video editing, etc.) and I'd like to try to get as many FPS as possible in the competitive games that I do play (Apex, CS:GO, etc.), but I also play RPGs so that's why I have my eye on that LG Ultrawide monitor for the immersive experience. I'm not 100% set on the display; I may end up going the 32" 1440p 144Hz route.

I should add that I am looking to get into overclocking, which is something I haven't dabbled in before. That's why I'm leaning towards the 3700X based on the its reported low TDP of 65W and the DDR4 3200 CL14 RAM which should overclock and work great with the CPU.

I used r/Cr1318's great post on Reddit to settle on the B450 Tomahawk since it has BIOS Flashback and good enough VRM ratings for the 3700X. I'm fine with just one M.2 slot and don't need WiFi/Bluetooth.

I'll go with a higher tiered PSU. I know EVGA recommends a 650W for the 2080, but should I go a bit higher if I'm going to OC?

I should add that I'm in no absolute hurry since my 2080 is already in my old rig and is running fine (even though it's being bottlenecked). I will be waiting on official reviews of the new CPUs before finalizing my decision.
Also, if I do choose that LG ultrawide, I'll wait for it to go back on sale for $800 or less.

Any thoughts, critiques, advice would be most welcomed. Thanks!

650w will be fine for overclocking. As for the rest of the system, very good also. I'll suggest getting all of the case fans that the case can fit, as well as looking into liquid cooling for your CPU, as this will make your overclocking experience so much better.

Reactions: robbyv17

robbyv17

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
650w will be fine for overclocking. As for the rest of the system, very good also. I'll suggest getting all of the case fans that the case can fit, as well as looking into liquid cooling for your CPU, as this will make your overclocking experience so much better.
I think I may try a nice cpu cooler and a few more fans before delving into liquid cooling

Sounds good. As long as you don't overclock this to the moon it will be viable even on the stock cooler. If you are considering water-cooling, I would skip the aftemarket air cooling and just stick to the Ryzen stock one, as it has proven itself to be as good as many high end aftermarket ones.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I personally would get a good quality 80+ Gold PSU.
Even though a 650W PSU would be enough, I always like to buy a slightly higher Watt PSU than needed by my current rig to be sure I can upgrade my CPU and or GPU in the future without having to also upgrade my PSU.
And I would look at the MSI B450 Pro Carbon Pro AC instead of the Tomahawk because I have seen a few threads here recently about problems with the Tomahawk.

robbyv17

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
Sounds good. As long as you don't overclock this to the moon it will be viable even on the stock cooler. If you are considering water-cooling, I would skip the aftemarket air cooling and just stick to the Ryzen stock one, as it has proven itself to be as good as many high end aftermarket ones.
I don't intend on pushing it to the extreme by any means. I do think I will stick with the stock air cooler and upgrade only if needed...thx

robbyv17

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
I personally would get a good quality 80+ Gold PSU.
Even though a 650W PSU would be enough, I always like to buy a slightly higher Watt PSU than needed by my current rig to be sure I can upgrade my CPU and or GPU in the future without having to also upgrade my PSU.
And I would look at the MSI B450 Pro Carbon Pro AC instead of the Tomahawk because I have seen a few threads here recently about problems with the Tomahawk.
Okay, I'll look at 700+W PSUs...and for sure, I will get a good quality one.

As for the MoBo, the Pro Carbon AC was the other one I had considered, but I thought it was a bit more than what I needed. But if the Tomahawk, has issues, I suppose I can reconsider it. Do you remember what the problems were with the Tomahawk?

Sorry I'm not sure why I thought you were going to use aftermarket cooling... I am just getting threads mixed up.
As for the motherboard, I think the Tomahawk should still be ok, regardless of whether some drawbacks. You can take a look at the manual of the motherboard, and some others that could also be options, to compare them. Pay attention to the BIOS section. Many motherboards have became all but the same recently, and a big part of what will differ is the BIOS experience. Does one have features that you like that another doesn't? If so, it might be that this motherboard is best for you. Other things to consider: RAM slots (aim for 4 of them for upgradability). Max RAM speed (aim for at least DDR4-4000 support. Although DDR4-3000 is perfect for Ryzen nowadays, being able to upgrade to higher speeds in the future is useful, when higher speeds are cheaper). PCI-E x16 slots. You might decide that the big upgrade you will make in 6 or 7 years is adding another 2080 instead of upgrading altogether. You will need a free slot in order to do this. Also, does the motherboard support SLI for doing this? Also, does it have features that allow the BIOS to be upgraded without a CPU? This is the most important, as you will, to start with, effectively have an incompatible CPU. Of course, some of these will not apply to you. Also, once again, the Tomahawk is probably great, it's just that some people have different uses. Equally, I have seen people online that are really happy with the motherboard.