Replaced dead power supply, now BSOD?

thetastycat

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
Hey all - this is for an Optiplex 755 that is dedicated to storing security camera footage, no internet. Power-cycled it last week and it wouldn't power back on; I replaced the coin battery inside, still nothing, so I ordered a replacement power supply. The one that arrived today looks basically the same but does appear to be Chinese. Got it hooked up just like the old one and everything powers on! But - unfortunately about one second after it begins loading XP, it crashes to BSOD with 0x0000007b, 0xf789e524, 0xc0000034, and 0x00000000. Perhaps is there something I need to reset in BIOS with the battery having been out? Or maybe the power supply fried something else when it gave up the ghost? Any way I can run some diagnostics on it?

I sure appreciate the help!!!

jonathan1683

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
I used some shitty PSU before and it literally blew out every component in my PC. Sounds like yours may be working but you will need to start troubleshooting. the battery only controls the time/bios settings and wouldn't cause a bsod. Try booting in safe mode. If that doesn't work try a live linux CD like knoppix to see if it will boot into the OS to rule out hardware issues. If it boots into knoppix fine it may have damaged some files or the HD may have issues. There are a lot of steps I can direct you in, but we need to rule out hardware failure first.

thetastycat

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
Thanks so much, Jonathan - safe mode is a no-go, so I'll try Knoppix; I've never dabbled in Linux at all, so I just download Knoppix, put it on a disc, and boot from it? Seems simple enough! Let me give it a whirl.

Sorry for the delay - had shoulder surgery yesterday so my regular routine is on its head at the moment!

if the bios was reset go into the bios make sure the sata ports are set right if there not windows will bsod on post. the old power supply or the mb you have now may have a bad cap see if you google the model and system board if your unit has bad caps.

robertbhart

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2012
I was about to post about a very similar problem...

I use XP on my vintage gaming pc with soft 15khz (to use my arcade monitor) and everything was working fine until last week when I suddenly got no image when I turned it on.

My GPU worked in another machine so I assumed it was a PSU issue, so I changed it and replaced the battery on the MB. Still nothing. I tried replacing the Radeon 4890 with a 5450 arcade vga card. Still nothing. I then tried an older arcade VGA AMD card and I got an image in 15khz but then.... BSOD when it tries to load windows.

I get the same error code as Tasty cat and safe mode doesn't work either. I tried the "load earliest one that worked" option but still doesn't work.

As my bios was also reset, what options should I look to confirm are still correct? I vaguely remember having issues with the hard drive settings as XP doesn't like modern HDs or SSDs but I can't remember what i need to set it to...

I hate Windows error codes. I'll never understand why they would assume that 0000007b would mean something to a human. If they said "the wire at the back is a bit loose, I would know what to do...

robertbhart

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2012

That rings a bell. I can remember not being able to install XP until I replaced my SSD with a regular HD and then set it to some legacy mode. I am going to try changing that setting.

I didn't' realize that that pulling out the battery sends all the bios settings back to default. I guess I should have...

robertbhart

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2012
Ok that worked. I should have known it was something simple like that....

Now I just need to figure out why GPUs that work on other machines won't run on this PC all of a sudden and only a very old gpu works.

Are there any bios settings that turn on (or off) power to PCI express devices?

thetastycat

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
Hey all - sorry for the delay. Had some shoulder surgery and figured I'd spend two weeks off of work getting to catch up on all sorts of stuff but just felt like crap and didn't want to do anything - but finally getting back to myself!

So I am completely ignorant in the ways of Linux so instead I got an XP recovery CD. When I boot to CD it loads all the requisite stuff, then says "Starting Windows" but then BSODs before it gives me the option to chkdsk/repair etc. Might that indicate a blown mobo? Any ideas what I should try next?

Thanks for your patience - sorry to not be more adept!

TRENDING THREADS