Replaced Dell Laptop HD, now can't get Windows loaded

clemsontigerblah

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2015
I have an old Dell Inspiron N4010 laptop that had a 500GB platter HD (factory), and wanted to replace it with an SSD to give it a little tune up. I got a Crucial 250GB SSD (because I don't really need 500GB of space for what I will use it for and 250 was cheaper). Unfortunately, due to brilliant design of this laptop, you have to take the entire laptop apart including removing the motherboard to replace the HD. I did this and booted up and used the recovery disk I made.

When I try to install, it says not enough space that it needs 500GB to install the factory image. Obviously, it doesn't need that much space, but I guess that is what it is supposed to detect and I can't get it to install past this point.

I tried to go to Microsoft to download a copy of windows 7, but it won't let me because the product key is system specific.

Basically, is there a work around this to get it to install or did I just waste a whole lot of time and some money and now just have to do it all again and get a 500 GB SSD?

I know bootleg versions of Windows 7 are out there, but trying to keep this legal. Thanks.

Solution

clemsontigerblah

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2015

Thank for your reply.
I'm not sure how much space is used on the old HD, but the issue now is access to the SSD. I would have to take apart the laptop again just to remove the 250GB SSD to clone to it, and then reassemble the laptop just to see if it works. Besides, I wanted to start with a fresh OS if possible anyway.

Dell embed Windows serial somewhere in BIOS, so in order to install fresh copy you need Windows image on DVD or USB, your choice. Now, it is impossible to get blank Windows OS from Microsoft, you have to input serial in order to start download image, correct.
I have source for legit, not pirated Windows images, but I need to know which exact version you had, is it Win 7 Home, Pro, Ultimate and is it 32 bit or 64 bit.
Provide me with that info and I check if this place has it.
If yes, you can download it and make bootable DVD or USB.
When you will make fresh install with appropriate Win image, it will recognize embedded serial!

Solution