[SOLVED] Replaced GPU (2060) with 3060 and no display.... put back my old GPU and still no display again

Jun 3, 2021
I recently built my PC (ITX system - Ryzen 5 5600x, NZXT x53 kraken, Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro, 16 gb trident z RGB, ZOTAC RTX 2060, 650 W EVGA B5) and it worked fine. I got a 3060 through the EVGA queue system and swapped it out with my 2060 (did nothing else to the system). I plugged it into the display (HDMI) but got no signal. I then swapped back my 2060 in and found that there was still no signal to the monitor. My GPU fans/case fans spin and my system lights up (NZXT cooler light, RAM light, case fans). I've tried everything I could think of + googled and still don't know what the issue is. Here is a list of things I've tried:
  • Swapped out the graphics card PSU cable for a different one
  • tried the GPU PSU cables (6 + 2) in both PSU slots (VGA 1, VGA 2)
  • reseated my RAM
  • tried all the ports on the GPU (HDMI + DP)
  • tried different monitors
  • cleared CMOS
  • blew air duster over x16 slot

I tested the GPUs in a friend's system and they seem to work fine. My motherboard also doesnt have debug LEDs. At this point I'm thinking something is wrong with my GPU slot on my motherboard (and I only have one pcie x16 slot!). I've checked all the power connections and motherboard cable connections and everything seems to be fine. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
It's unfortunate the board doesn't have a 2nd PCIe slot, or I'd ask you to test that.

Are you able to get into bios at all - to check what the PCIe link speed is set to for that slot? If not, I'm not sure you have any choice but to replace the motherboard.
Apparently, it's possible to incorrectly configure PCIe link speed in bios - there's some funky handshake crap going on.
The 2060 is a Gen 3 card and the 3060 is a Gen 4 capable card, but Gen 4 isn't required. IF it's possible for you to go into bios and change whatever it's currently set to, it may change things for the better.
Jun 3, 2021
Do you know what BIOS version your motherboard is on? How long were you running your system with the 2060 before swapping it to the 3060?
I have no idea what BIOS version my motherboard was on. I have no way of checking now since there is no display, and I can't flash the BIOS either. I've been running on the 2060 for about a week and a half now.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's unfortunate the board doesn't have a 2nd PCIe slot, or I'd ask you to test that.

Are you able to get into bios at all - to check what the PCIe link speed is set to for that slot? If not, I'm not sure you have any choice but to replace the motherboard.
Apparently, it's possible to incorrectly configure PCIe link speed in bios - there's some funky handshake crap going on.
The 2060 is a Gen 3 card and the 3060 is a Gen 4 capable card, but Gen 4 isn't required. IF it's possible for you to go into bios and change whatever it's currently set to, it may change things for the better.

Reactions: kzeng8
Solution
Jun 3, 2021

Thanks for the input - did not even consider this possibility. I'm not sure if I can get into the BIOS since there's no display. Is it possible to get into the BIOS without a dGPU? If not, could I potentially pick up a cheap APU/borrow an APU (to run on onboard graphics) from somewhere and use that temporarily to set the link speed

Edit: I dont know much about PCIe, but if the speed was set to Gen 3, wouldn't both GPUs work (although the 3060 would run on lower speeds) and if the speed was set to Gen 4, wouldn't the only the 3060 be able to work?

Last edited:

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
You could remove the battery for 10 minutes to restore it to factory settings than at least your old GPU should work in there.

But I don't think it's possible to incorrectly set your PCI-E link speed without deliberately going into that menu on the BIOS, so I doubt that's the issue.

More likely is that you have physically damaged the PCI-E slot or motherboard when changing the cards over. Or maybe a capacitor was just hanging on by a thread and you nudged it and popped it.

Either way I think it's new motherboard time.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Cheaper to replace the motherboard.
According to Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro support page, the following APUs are supported:
Ryzen 7 PRO 4750G(Since bios F2)
Ryzen 7 PRO 4750GE(Since bios F12)
Ryzen 5 PRO 4650G(F2)
Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE(F12)
Ryzen 3 PRO 4350G(F2)
Ryzen 3 PRO 4350GE(F12)
In the current market, none of those are going to be cheap. If you can borrow one for next to no cost, that would be great...

More and more, I'm starting to see cpus that have iGPUs as a huge boon, especially when troubleshooting, which comes with the territory that is DIY PC...

Jun 3, 2021
You could remove the battery for 10 minutes to restore it to factory settings than at least your old GPU should work in there.

But I don't think it's possible to incorrectly set your PCI-E link speed without deliberately going into that menu on the BIOS, so I doubt that's the issue.

More likely is that you have physically damaged the PCI-E slot or motherboard when changing the cards over. Or maybe a capacitor was just hanging on by a thread and you nudged it and popped it.

Either way I think it's new motherboard time.

Would the damage be visible? I don't think I damaged anything but you may be right. Hoping this is not the case since this was newly built :confused_old: Going to try accessing the BIOS first before replacing the motherboard. Thanks for the input

Jun 3, 2021
Cheaper to replace the motherboard.
According to Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro support page, the following APUs are supported:
Ryzen 7 PRO 4750G(Since bios F2)
Ryzen 7 PRO 4750GE(Since bios F12)
Ryzen 5 PRO 4650G(F2)
Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE(F12)
Ryzen 3 PRO 4350G(F2)
Ryzen 3 PRO 4350GE(F12)
In the current market, none of those are going to be cheap. If you can borrow one for next to no cost, that would be great...

More and more, I'm starting to see cpus that have iGPUs as a huge boon, especially when troubleshooting, which comes with the territory that is DIY PC...

Thanks for the input! There is a MicroCenter near me. I think I'm going to ask for a diagnostic and see what I can do about the APU situation if they find that the PCIe slot isn't damaged.