Replaced GPU Buzzing Clicking Under Load

rabaker07

Reputable
Oct 2, 2014
I have noticed lately that when under load, there is a clicking/buzzing sound coming from my GPU. This was happening with my GTX 770, and I just replaced with a GTX 970 and I'm having the same issue! I manually stopped each fan and the clicking buzzing sound continued (I did this with every fan in the case, thinking it might also be the CPU). Very strange.

Is it electrical? PSU is fine and rail voltages are all within tolerance. The sound is directly tied to the load of the GPU. Let's say I go to an options screen in-game, it gets much softer; or when frames dramatically drop, etc. On desktop, the sound is gone. I also just verified that when I run the GPU stress test in AIDA64, that the sound is not present. Only while gaming. Very, very strange.

Is it my motherboard? What could it be? Coil whine? It's not a whine, more like muffled ticking.

CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.2 GHz cooled by CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LX | RAM: Crucial 16GB 1600
GPU: EVGA GTX 970 4 GB SC | SSD: Mushkin 240GB | HDD: Seagate 2TB | Monitors: BenQ G2400W 24" LCD