Reputable
May 8, 2014
Windows 7 Ultimate
Asus M5A78L
AMD FX 8350
XFX r9 290 (single dissipation edition)
ocz zs 750w
8GB DDR3 1333MHz HyperX Blu Memory Kit CL9 1.5V

I recently bought the 8350 for my machine, back when I was still using an ASUS 6950 and everything was running great. A few weeks ago I bought an XFX r9 290 and since I've had that my pc has been an onversized paperweight. Sometimes will crash on startup, sometimes 5 minutes into a show on netflix, sometimes on desktop 30 seconds after boot up, sometimes 10 minutes into a game; it's entirely unpredictable.
I've done countless clean driver installs, using DDU and mopping up with ccleaner. About a week ago AMD released 14.4 drivers, this got rid of the DCP latency issues I was having (last of my troubles) but the issue persisted, and instead of just black screening I am sometimes now experiencing a complete breakup to coloured static of the image on screen, and instead of restarting itself, the computer needs to be shut down via the case button.
I just downloaded a blue screen viewer and it says that the driver causing the crashes has been ntoskrnl.exe, I also have a dump file that I have put in a cloud folder to view (can post here, haven't managed to look at it myself yet). I've also run a memtest on both my sticks of RAM, both fine.
This problem is driving me insane, as I have just spent so much money on this machine only to not be able to use it. Thanks in advance!

tseska69

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006

thats the system kernal, in the boot.ini section of the hard drive i think. if you have the windows disk, try doing a repair. I would try updating any drivers on your system and any anti-virus software you are using. here's a link I was reading earler: http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/23643-ntoskrnl-exe-bsod.html I just summarized what I found there.

Ferracity

Reputable
May 8, 2014
Thanks for the responses guys, I've tried all the things on there, my windows recovery disk didn't help, all drivers up to date and anti virus too. Just hoping I don't have to RMA...

Leon Ynema

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
Made 2 changes >Changed PCIe bus settings from Auto to 110>Chipset Overvolt from Auto to 1.3
i have no more bsod restarts my specs windows 7 ultimate fx 8350 Asus M5A78L akasa 850 psu