Question Replaced GPU thermal paste/pads, now the fans instantly ramp up and the PC shuts down before getting past boot.

crumpet8

Honorable
Jan 5, 2018
My Gigabyte Windforce OC 2080 Ti had an issue where the fans would fully ramp up, go back down and then speed up again whenever I did something demanding. HWMonitor said the hottest part of the GPU was reaching 109°c.
After replacing the pads and paste the GPU seems to be instantly overheating judging by the fans, and the computer shuts down before it gets past booting.
I used Arctic Mx-4 paste and 1mm / 1.5mm pads, which seemed to be the right thickness. The default backplate pads seemed thicker than my 1.5s, so I stacked two on top of each other. Now that seems too thick and the backplate is bulging, so maybe that's what's causing this? I did take the plastic off the thermal pads.
View: https://imgur.com/a/loo67nQ

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
OOF. Them bends... cooler contact is warped, that's the reason for the new behavior.

The problem is that thermal pads aren't just about how thick they are, but also the degree of hardness. There's too much focus on pad thickness out there and hardness tends to get overlooked until it's too late.
A common scenario is someone targeting new pads of the same depth as the originals and getting a set with a high w/mK rating, because 'higher rating cools better'. [The higher the w/mK rating is, the harder they are.]
Some folks who go in blind with swapping pads sometimes get lucky with their pad choices.

TL;DR: The paste and pad changes should not be done at the same time, and the unknown hardness of the original pads can sour pad change expeditions.

crumpet8

Honorable
Jan 5, 2018
OOF. Them bends... cooler contact is warped, that's the reason for the new behavior.

The problem is that thermal pads aren't just about how thick they are, but also the degree of hardness. There's too much focus on pad thickness out there and hardness tends to get overlooked until it's too late.
A common scenario is someone targeting new pads of the same depth as the originals and getting a set with a high w/mK rating, because 'higher rating cools better'. [The higher the w/mK rating is, the harder they are.]
Some folks who go in blind with swapping pads sometimes get lucky with their pad choices.

TL;DR: The paste and pad changes should not be done at the same time, and the unknown hardness of the original pads can sour pad change expeditions.

So replacing these pads with softer ones is probably the solution? I removed the double stacked ones and got past post, but the temps were steadily going up and the card started overheating on idle.
While I wait for new pads to arrive should I take these ones out and reassemble the GPU without any to avoid it warping from stiff pads?

Also, would gelid ultimate be a good replacement?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So replacing these pads with softer ones is probably the solution?
There are multiple ways to look at that. One could take the current pads in that gpu and say that they are either:
-too thick.
-too hard.
-both.
It could be resolved by getting thinner versions of the same model already in the gpu, OR take a chance with different model that's softer...

While I wait for new pads to arrive should I take these ones out and reassemble the GPU without any to avoid it warping from stiff pads?
That would be an option if that card was equipped with GDDR5 or R5X memory. GDDR6 and R6X don't like air only cooling at all.

I've no idea about Gelid Ultimates on that card. There's no standard for the pads used between different gpu models; those pads could work on a 2080Ti Gaming X Trio, but not a Strix. Something like that, for example.
Some one else who has successfully repad that card would have to chime in.

crumpet8

Honorable
Jan 5, 2018
That would be an option if that card was equipped with GDDR5 or R5X memory. GDDR6 and R6X don't like air only cooling at all.

I meant while storing it and waiting for new thermal pads - I won't be using the card until I replace them because I don't want to damage it by letting it overheat.
Thanks for the help

TRENDING THREADS