Question Replaced graphics card, blank screen

dasta

Prominent
May 9, 2019
My old Radeon HD 7850 just died, and I decided to replace it with a new Gigabyte Radeon RX580 8G. However, after installing the new card and connecting the PCI power cable, there's a blank screen on startup (no BIOS).

I've tried a different PCI slot, and making sure the card and power connectors are properly seated. The graphics card LEDs come on and the fans spin, and the power indicator light shows that its getting consistent power. Onboard graphics still works fine with the same monitor/cable.

I've tried selecting PCI as the display device in the bios when the card is not installed but doesn't make a difference (though for some reason this always defaults to AUTO when it restarts after saving).

System specs are:
Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H mobo
i5-3750k
4x4gb RAM
Antec TruPower 550W PSU

Wondering if the PSU is enough, though wattage calculator suggested it should be ok.

Words of advice welcome.

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
Well how many year's has that power supply been working? its a solid tier 2 power supply though.
Try to remove your GPU and connect to the onboard if it worked then either your GPU is not giving output or the power supply is not giving enough power.

dasta

Prominent
May 9, 2019
Well how many year's has that power supply been working? its a solid tier 2 power supply though.
Try to remove your GPU and connect to the onboard if it worked then either your GPU is not giving output or the power supply is not giving enough power.

Its been running 6 years or so now, so fairly elderly. Removing the GPU and switching back to onboard works fine.

dasta

Prominent
May 9, 2019
I might try clearing the CMOS (and possibly disabling the on-board graphics completely) - I agree that updating has risks!

I'll also ask around to see if anyone I know can try the card in their machine for me (probably easier than replacing the PSU in mine...)

FWIW, I'm wondering if the problem with the old graphics card was actually something to do with the PSU - out of the blue after years of faithful service it suddenly gave me a blank screen after windows started, unless in safe mode (including after reinstalling drivers etc.). Also, when in safe mode and even on the BIOS screen had coloured lines on various parts of the screen. Does that sound related to PSU problems?

iMatty

Reputable
Mar 14, 2019
Well, you have been using your power supply for around 6 years, that is more than enough lifecycle for a power supply.
It depends from one graphic card to another, some of them withdraw more power than some.
If you have seen colored lines in safe mode, it indicates that your GPU is somewhat broken or faulty.

dasta

Prominent
May 9, 2019
Just a quick update for anyone coming across this - I took a chance and updated my BIOS as there was a newer version that was flagged as having VGA support updates (and with dual BIOS I figured it was worth a try), and that solved the problem and the new card is working fine. A new PSU may still be on the cards though.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.