Question Replaced HDD with SDD, installed Win 10 and now I can't even get the boot screen.

Mar 4, 2021
Hi, there! I hope you can help me with this, I don't know what else to do :(.

- Laptop w/ fabric default: HDD + Win10 worked perfectly. I want to add an SSD and install the OS there and keep the HDD for data.

I'll try to be short:

- Installed SSD + HDD, got Black Screen and couldn't even get the boot menu.. just LED backlight. Took out the SSD, everything normal.

- Took out HDD and installed SDD again, got BIOS menu, it didn't recognize the USB stick with WIN10 installer.

- Disabled Safe Boot. Re-created the USB WIN10 installer to be GPT partitioned and be recognized by the UEFI boot option (there is no Legacy on the Boot menu).

- Installed Win10 perfectly on the SSD.

- Connected again the HDD (Win 10 installed there, nothing erased [maybe my bad here]). When starting the computer: Black Screen again.

- Disconnected SSD, booted WIN10 installer through the USB stick, formatted the HDD.

- Connected HDD+ SSD = Black screen.

Situation now:

- HDD + SSD = Black Screen.

- SSD = Black Screen. How? Why? How can I access the SSD now??

- HDD = Bios Screen.

+

When restarting with WIN key + B, The screen shows a text indicating the BIOS maybe corrupted and recomends re-installing it through a USB stick, downloading the latest one from an HP website.

Additional data:

- Notebook: brand new HP 250 G7

- SSD: XPG SX6000 lite 128 GB

I'm willing to try anything.

Thanks.

P.S: Images from the boot menu: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1C7rqm8nQ-NZkfNlUHEkySewSPvLVmdJG?usp=sharing

Update: Tried the SDD on another laptop and Win10 boots perfectly.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What BIOS version are you currently on? Since you can get to the BIOS with just the SSD. You might also want to cross-reference the BIOS version on HP's support site, see if you have any updates pending. Where did you source the installer for the OS? You might want to use Windows Media Creation Tools to fabricate your bootable USB installer.

Mar 4, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What BIOS version are you currently on? Since you can get to the BIOS with just the SSD. You might also want to cross-reference the BIOS version on HP's support site, see if you have any updates pending. Where did you source the installer for the OS? You might want to use Windows Media Creation Tools to fabricate your bootable USB installer.

Thanks for the welcome and the insanely quick response.
Answers:
  • BIOS Version: I think F33 (can you get that data from the images I uploaded?) I see here the last ones are F35 and F10. Should I install the last one? I was trying to avoid mangling with the BIOS.
  • I can't acess the BIOS with just the SSD. I got those pictures today taking out the HDD and SSD.
  • To source the installer I used Rufus, as de Windows Media Creation Tools wouldn't get me a bootable option on the UEFI list.

Mar 4, 2021
You most likely have bootloader on both drives.
That confuses hell out of your laptop.

Clean both drives on another pc using diskpart clean method.
Connect only SSD, install windows.
Then connect cleaned hdd.
Thanks, will try now.

Just two questions here that don't add up:
  • Why did I get the black screen when I installed the fresh SSD (w/the HDD with OS) in the first time?
  • Why do I get a black screen now when I connect just the SDD?

Mar 4, 2021
Update:
  • Updated BIOS to latest.
  • Wiped clean HDD. Wiped clean SSD. Both using using diskpart method.
Still can't use the laptop with the SSD plugged in. There is no way I can turn on the computer with the SSD in and access even the BIOS, even less to access the bootable USB stick.
If I take it out, it works perfectly.

Mar 4, 2021
Weird.
Laptop might be trying to boot from SSD, while SSD itself isn't bootable.

Have you tried setting USB flash drive as first in boot order?
(in your screenshot OS boot manager is 1st)

Yes!, tried it first and not first too. USB flash drive is currently first. Thank you for checking the screenshot.

What it is strange to me is that the SSD overrides the BIOS. When I connect it, it doesn't even flinch before or after the blank (black) screen.