Aug 4, 2019
SO, a little update on how my pc hasnt been working. I have gotten a new motherboard, and when I try and POST my pc, it flashes a red light on my aerocool cylon case at the top near the power button. What is the problem here? It also shows on the EZ Debug LED light my cpu isnt working by just a flash when I turn on my pc as well, and it turns off in 1 second after turning it on. What seems to be the problem??? I need help asap!

SPECS:
i5-9400F but for now I am trying to post with a Celeron G4900 in order to update my motherboard bios to support 9th gen processors
GTX 1070 gpu
32GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 4x8
700BR power supply
Aerocool Cylon case
b360-a pro motherboard

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
If it turns off in a second (or less) of you turning it on the PSU is having an extreme allergic reaction to whatever is going on in your system.

I could be wrong but the #1 mistake that people make these days that can cause this is using modular cables that did not come with the psu. Say you pull out the mobo and put another one in. You think, and here I have a nice new upgraded psu to go with it. You think well no need to pull out all those nicely arranged cables from previous build. So you put Corsair cables into your Thermaltake. Or into your Seasonic. Or maybe you put one model's cables from company X into another model psu from company X.

And you fry everything you own, except for the psu, which protects itself, but those one second bursts destroy your peripherals. Or at least, they can.

There are other thigns that are less drastic but that's the #1 possible issue.

Greg N

Reactions: lynx1021
Aug 4, 2019
If it turns off in a second (or less) of you turning it on the PSU is having an extreme allergic reaction to whatever is going on in your system.

I could be wrong but the #1 mistake that people make these days that can cause this is using modular cables that did not come with the psu. Say you pull out the mobo and put another one in. You think, and here I have a nice new upgraded psu to go with it. You think well no need to pull out all those nicely arranged cables from previous build. So you put Corsair cables into your Thermaltake. Or into your Seasonic. Or maybe you put one model's cables from company X into another model psu from company X.

And you fry everything you own, except for the psu, which protects itself, but those one second bursts destroy your peripherals. Or at least, they can.

There are other thigns that are less drastic but that's the #1 possible issue.

Greg N
PSU isnt modular...

Aug 4, 2019
stick with 1 thread
SO, a little update on how my pc hasnt been working. I have gotten a new motherboard, and when I try and POST my pc, What is the problem here? It shows on the EZ Debug LED light my cpu isnt working by just a flash when I turn on my pc as well, and it turns off in 1 second after turning it on. What seems to be the problem??? I have a Celeron G4900 put in my mobo so I can update my bios to run my i5-9400f, but my pc still wont turn on, I need help ASAP and do not know what the problem is.

SPECS:
i5-9400F but for now I am trying to post with a Celeron G4900 in order to update my motherboard bios to support 9th gen processors
GTX 1070 gpu
32GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 4x8
700BR power supply
Aerocool Cylon case
b360-a pro motherboard

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
PSU isnt modular...

All right, that's good. So the next question would be are you sure the psu is functioning normally. You can look up "paper clip test" and make sure that the fan is working.

The thing is if the psu is non-modular it's either older or cheaper. Both point to a potential failure point. Non-modular psus are still sold they are generally under a hundred bucks and they typically have shorter warranties meaning the manufacturers know they won't last.

But this can be good news. It might mean that if you replace the psu everything will work. One thing you can do is go to https://pcpartpicker.com/ and click on "system builder" upper left and evaluate the wattage requirements of your old and new system. If your new system wants more power and your psu had been used for a while, you may have pushed it over the edge. By which I mean it died. I note that if you have a 700 watt psu and your usage went up from say 350 to 450 you might still have exceeded what the psu could do, because if it was older, it would been reaching its limits. Even if your psu is new its failure cannot be excluded. I had a high end Thermaltake with a ten year guarantee and it failed after three months. (They sent me a new one, that was a few years ago, it still works) So the point is new psus fail and so do older ones, and so do psus with long warranties (but as a rule they fail less often).

Greg N

Aug 4, 2019
All right, that's good. So the next question would be are you sure the psu is functioning normally. You can look up "paper clip test" and make sure that the fan is working.

The thing is if the psu is non-modular it's either older or cheaper. Both point to a potential failure point. Non-modular psus are still sold they are generally under a hundred bucks and they typically have shorter warranties meaning the manufacturers know they won't last.

But this can be good news. It might mean that if you replace the psu everything will work. One thing you can do is go to https://pcpartpicker.com/ and click on "system builder" upper left and evaluate the wattage requirements of your old and new system. If your new system wants more power and your psu had been used for a while, you may have pushed it over the edge. By which I mean it died. I note that if you have a 700 watt psu and your usage went up from say 350 to 450 you might still have exceeded what the psu could do, because if it was older, it would been reaching its limits. Even if your psu is new its failure cannot be excluded. I had a high end Thermaltake with a ten year guarantee and it failed after three months. (They sent me a new one, that was a few years ago, it still works) So the point is new psus fail and so do older ones, and so do psus with long warranties (but as a rule they fail less often).

Greg N
Bought this PSU 4 days ago, it ran but I needed a new motherboard because cpu pins are bent. Bought new mobo, cpu doesnt work?! I dont understand. everything is plugged in and makes no sense!

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Bought this PSU 4 days ago, it ran but I needed a new motherboard because cpu pins are bent. Bought new mobo, cpu doesnt work?! I dont understand. everything is plugged in and makes no sense!

Yes this stuff could drive one mad. If the pins are bent you might be getting a short that the psu responds to by shutting down. I don't know whether I'd keep a cpu with bent pins. I did see Linus (linustech) straight out some bent pins once, very carefully bending them back with a razor blade.

Greg N

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Yeah it's kind of a good idea to have a lot of back up parts including a clone of your OS on a separate piece of hardware. That way you can test these things out. Maybe you would share what was wrong with the HDD?