Question Replaced motherboard after short circuit, but still no display ?

Ryan_222

Honorable
Jun 22, 2016
I replaced my motherboard after suspecting it of having short-circuited. It fixed a previous issue, but it still does not register as a display having connected.

• I have the HDMI cable plugged into the GPU.
  • I have tested with multiple cables and multiple different monitors, so I don't believe it is an external hardware issue.
  • I have tested my PSU with a PSU tester and the numbers are normal.

Most critically, my GPU fan spins when I turn the computer on, which leads me to believe that it isn't a GPU issue since the GPU is getting enough power.

I understand that when a motherboard short circuits it can adversely affect other elements of the internal hardware. Is this possible, and if so is it possible for me to identify which things were damaged ?

I understand that RAM and GPU being damaged can both lead to the display not registering, is this true of the CPU as well? Is there a way for me to test which things were damaged without having to buy all new RAM/GPU/CPUs?

All help is appreciated.

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
When GPU is fried, the fans are not necessarily knocked out.
An electrical short circuit can damage multiple parts in a system or all of them.
Since you replaced the MB, the only part that won't end up with Beep signaling when damaged is the CPU.
But the GPU can also be fried, Ram too, but each one missing will give off a beep signal.

Ryan_222

Honorable
Jun 22, 2016
So if I'm not hearing any beeping when I turn on the PC, that indicates that it's a CPU issue?

Also: I looked online and I can't find a video of what the beep is supposed to sound like. Do you know where I can find one? When I press the power button I hear like a whirring and a click which I'm realizing now might be the beep signal. It's the exact same sound as when my computer was functional.

Ryan_222

Honorable
Jun 22, 2016
Sorry, just to clarify: you’re saying that if it was a RAM or GPU issue, then I would be getting a error code in the form of a beep signal? So can I be confident that the RAM and GPU are fine?

TRENDING THREADS