Replaced motherboard factory OEM Dell Optiplex 9020

Oct 1, 2018
Background: During a thunder storm the power was interrupted momentarily.. actually it just sorta blinked.. and my Dell Optiplex 9020 no longer worked. I had it plugged into a surge protector that was plugged into another surge protector but somehow the power interruption seriously crashed my system. When turned on all that was present on the monitor was a line of code [I assume it was code since it appeared to be some unearthly alphabet & symbols] across the top. Not being a computer tech I guessed that my problem was my hard drive since I was saving data at the time. A new hybrid drive did not fix the problem. I then contacted Dell & was informed that the problem was either the power supply or the motherboard. Naturally I chose the less costly option & installed a new power supply... but the problem persisted. As a last resort I installed a new motherboard w/ new graphics card & reusing the 2 8gb ram modules from the old motherboard I was expecting success. But alas, all is not well in this household. Now the Dell Optiplex 9020 doesn't even turn on. All I get is an amber flashing power light. Please HELP!! I'm at my wits end.

Since you've replaced basically the whole computer I would try moving the system to another electrical outlet on an entirely separate circuit to see if the household wiring was damaged. Surge protectors are no substitute for an Auxillaty Power Supply. Did you replace the surge protectors? They may have sacrificed themselves. When you installed the new drive did you do a fresh install of the OS or did you clone the old HDD? An APS runs off of the battery all the time. It will bridge a power outage, a surge protector won't.

Oct 1, 2018

I must admit that I'm not the brightest bulb in the string. The problem of the flashing amber power light was rectified by properly seating the ram modules. Like I said, not the brightest bulb. Anyway the original problem was finally localized to my internal auxiliary drive. I hadn't even considered it as the culprit since it doesn't contain any system files or boot data.. just all my backups. After reinstalling my original system drive & the new hybrid drive my pc is running smoothly & as it did prior to the mishap. The nearly $400 spent on otherwise unnecessary replacements is a costly lesson to learn. Seek professional help sooner. Like I mentioned... not the brightest bulb.

One thing I like to do is have a Linux Live DVD around. You can boot the system with no drives connected. It eliminates all drive and software from consideration. It also sidesteps malware attacks. I doubt if the RAM sticks caused ytour original issue. You probably did fix something along the way.
You're probably out of money , so I'lll try not to bug you about an APS right now.

Oct 1, 2018

Using some old Navy logic from my years serving I decided some preventive maintenance was necessary, so even before I bought a replacement motherboard I forked out the money for a UPS. This should forego any future mishaps resulting from electrical storms. Living near the Gulf Coast guarantees frequent thunderstorms w/ lightening etc. & sometimes even a hurricane. Now I feel as if I'm prepared for the unforeseen nearby lightening strike & possible power interruption. BTW thanks for your input. The original issue was my "D" drive used for storage only... backups & such. Lost all that data though.