Question Replaced my cheap PC speakers with Klipsch ones, but they sound worse?

Cyber_Akuma

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Long ago I got some cheap crappy Amazon speakers as a "placeholder" while I was expecting to setup a full surround system someday, specifically these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027VT6V4/

Soooo... that surround thing never ended up happening, but I still wanted better sound than what these things could produce. I was able to get the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 for sale, these seem to be some of the best PC speakers one can get without spending several hundred. Yes, I am aware one can just get standard speakers and an amp and connect them to a PC, I tried to go that route but any decent speakers were just too big, and again I got these are a pretty good sale.

Anyway, I connected them up last night not really expecting there to be a giant noticeable difference from at least just watching random YouTube videos of all things but I instantly noticed it, and they just sounded.... wrong.

I am not sure how to best describe it. They sound somewhat like they are... muffled? As if they are from far away? Like they are playing through a pillow or underwater or something? I am not sure what the best term to describe it would be but they sound considerably less "punchy" and clear than the previous speakers.

The Bass just feels like it's overwhelming now, even when I have it set low. And it's hard to hear non-bass sounds clearly in music and general audio such as in videogames, especially the more subtle sounds. Speech on the other hand is also overwhelming. It makes watching streams with commentary, especially of games, much harder as now the commentary sounds much louder than the game audio and I can't hear some of the softer sounds the game audio has as well anymore. When listening to music the music itself sounds somewhat dull compared to the actual lyrics being sung. Games.... it's weird, some sound muffled like I mentioned, others actually sound.... much clearer now?

When watching videos such as YouTube, the volume sounds low and muffled, and when when I try to listen to music it's exceedingly loud at the same volume level, with the previous speakers the same volume level generally sounded the same whether I was listening to speech or music, YouTube or anything else.

I am wondering if I have set them up wrong or something. First thing I looked into is if I should have the volume on my PC set high or low. Most Google results said set it to 100%, but the instructions for the speakers seemed to indicate I should set it to 70%. Also, I have very little room here, the only space I had for my speakers was on a glass shelf that's right behind my monitor. I know that's not ideal, but it was working before. Are these new speakers somehow different in a way that would severely impact the sound if they are behind my monitor? Would it work better if I put up shelves that are ABOVE my monitor (and also above my head) or would putting them high up also not be a good idea? The subwoofer is also just sitting on the (carpeted) floor below my computer desk. Also when watching some videos I would hear a sort of vibrating buzz/hum sometimes when a character said words with a M or other syllables occasionally.

I have no idea if I was just so used to the old speakers that these new ones sound weird, if I somehow set them up wrong, if I have something configured wrong, or what. Everything just sounds so weird now and I want to know if there is anything I can look into to fix it.

Cyber_Akuma

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
The sound quality is not only dependant on the speakers but the sound chipset on your computer.

Yeah I am aware of that, but why would it sound worse on the same computer?

Check your audio settings and drivers...if possible update or reinstall drivers.
Which computer model or motherboard do you have?

Dell Precision T3610 and replacing it soon with a Dell Precision T5810. I have a real system that I am still halfway into building if I can ever afford to finish it that will have a Sound blaster AE-5 in it though.

Dell's driver page lists drivers from 2014 (Version 6.0.1.6053) , Windows claims my drivers are from 2015 (Version 6.0.1.6070) . I have found supposedly a slightly newer version (6.0.1.8652) but it's not clear if it's for this chip or if these are even the latest.

Ralston18

Titan
Regarding:

"I was able to get the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 for sale, these seem to be some of the best PC speakers one can get without spending several hundred. "

Any certainty that the the speakers are legitmate and not some factory reject(s) or counterfeit? Where were the Klipsch speakers purchased?

Also, take a look at TRS (Tip, Ring, Sleeve) there could be some mismatch with respect to the connectivity

Pinouts and/or standards.

FYI:

https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

Try the speakers on some other computer and some other audio device.

Determine if the audio quality changes and can be improved in some manner.

Cyber_Akuma

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Any certainty that the the speakers are legitmate and not some factory reject(s) or counterfeit? Where were the Klipsch speakers purchased?

Costco, they regularly had them on sale for $80, they don't seem to carry them anymore though. Pretty sure they are legitimate.

Also, take a look at TRS (Tip, Ring, Sleeve) there could be some mismatch with respect to the connectivity

Pinouts and/or standards.

FYI:

https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/understanding-trrs-and-audio-jacks/

Try the speakers on some other computer and some other audio device.

What do you mean by mismatch? Not sure what I should be looking for. Pretty sure this is a standard stereo AUX output since there is a separate microphone input.

Determine if the audio quality changes and can be improved in some manner.

Well yeah, that's what I am trying to do. I have no idea where to even begin though.

Ralston18

Titan
Legitimate - may or may not be verifiable.

Could be that the quality of the speakers declined and sales dropped. Thus forcing discounts to encourage buyers.

Look for product reviews and pay attention to the trends by verified buyers.

= = = =

TS, TRS, and TRRS all require that the incoming plug match the receiving port with regards to Left/Center/Right/Bass. Can work but will not sound as expected. If there are any interim adapters then the adapters may also cause problems.

= = = =

Per the Cablechick link there are different standards. Apple has their own standard that may not work in non-Apple environments.

And vice-versa.

= = = =

Overall, if you are unable to find any audio device/connection/configuration that does not sound correct then the speakers are likely defective.

Begin by methodically testing the speakers in as many ways as possible. If you are unable to find any way of achieving the required sound quality the speakers are not as they should be.

Return to seller.

Cyber_Akuma

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Here is how they are currently setup if it helps:

View: https://imgur.com/a/8l703yg

Are the audio jacks on the back assignable? (as in what each jack is for) If not, have you tried the headphone jack?

As far as I am aware no, I see no such options and it has headphone and microphone icons next to them so I assume no.

I need to get some AUX cable to use the input jack on these things to quickly switch between my PC and phone to see if I can hear a difference. I tried just plugging them into my phone directly but it takes a while to re-connect them and it's hard to tell if they sound different. Doesn't help that my phone's output volume even at max is considerably lower than my PC.

Test the speakers in another system or device (phone, TV, etc..) just to see if the speakers are good.
Also place the sub on the floor and away from the satellite speakers.
If you will be placing the speakers behind the monitor, then place them facing up or to the side. Do not place them facing the back of the monitor.

Cyber_Akuma

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Yeah, I had someone suggest I temporarily put them in front of my monitor and see how that sounds.

View: https://i.imgur.com/my1zy8o.jpg

They sound considerably different like this. A lot of the hollowness/muffled tone is gone, although on some YouTube videos with mostly speech I can swear I still hear it, or on songs with heavy bass muffling out the treble. That might just be me being used to the crappy speakers for over a decade though.